This Disappears When Logged In

Reptibark and Humidity

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Frognut, May 31, 2010.

1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I added a layer of the paper 'fluff' (like I used for my mice) and on top of that added Reptibark to my Blue Tongued Skinks new tank.

The humidity shot up to 80% :eek: - from the bark I'm sure. Now it's down to 68% (mostly because we broke down and turned on the A/C), I also opened both vents on his tank.

With my Ball Python tank (similar in construction make-up), the addition of the bark caused an immediate increase in humidity, but I have to mist it occasionally to keep it up where it needs to be, as the bark dries out.

My question is, will George (the Skink) be okay while it slowly drops? I think Stefan said I should be at around 40% humidity. Should I take out the bark and just use the paper product?

Thanks!

2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Humidity is not a constant in the wild, so he may feel like he just missed a rainstorm.

3. your skink will be fine

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Likely the paper on top of the bark is holding the humidity within the bark longer. Creating an insulating layer.
    I do this with leaves on top of my substrate and it holds the moisture content much longer.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

However with a higher humidity I would be concerned with mold growing on the paper.
    We are talking about Carefresh aren't we?
    There have been issues with Carefresh since, when reptiles deficate, the vent opens and a little of the moist tissues inside protrude and there have been cases of the Carefresh sticking to it and being drawn back inside, causeing an infection.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The bark is always damp when you first put it in, when it dries out it should be fine, New Guinea is a tropical country, and so they do experience high levels, and this species is common in Melbourne (Australia), and it can rain VERY heavily at times, (although it`s not tropical). As everyone`s said, not a problem over the short term, I would go 40% or so, but it wouldn`t hurt if it was near 50% on ocassion, and it will be higher at night anyway. I don`t know the product you mention "paper fluff", you don`t need anything over the bark chips.

7. Frognut

I did use the Carefresh bedding under the bark - to actually help absorb his poop and such :)rolleyes:). Only I can use something for a purpose that is known to be an issue~

He was on the Carefresh by itself since I got him, I just added the bark in the new enclosure. He actually had trouble figuring out how to burrow in the bark at first - and found one teeny tiny spot that was just the Carefresh bedding and tried to burrow there... I think he has it now.

So -- should I take it all out and just use the bark? For him I got the large size bark chunks since he does bash his food around when trying to 'subdue' it. I figured there was less chance of the bigger pieces sticking to anything then the smaller bark chips that I have in Athena's tank.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My personal feeling isthat if it can possibley cause an issue, it will cause an issue for me!:rolleyes:

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It`s a pity the tank didn`t have a wider piece around the bottom, you could have put bark etc on one side, and have a slightly raised side with tiles or carpet where you could have placed his feeding bowl (so it would be on two levels), even two or three inches difference would be o.k. You could always put some self adhesive tiles around the bottom of the glass on the inside, cut them say 3 inches wide, then you won`t see the edge of the levels from the front, you only need to put a piece of plywood accross to divide the floor into two halves (or two thirds and one third), then make a "false" floor to raise it higher. Sorry if I`m making it sound complicated, it`s really VERY easy to do!

10. Frognut

I agree Merlin, better safe than sorry. Should I keep just the big bark pieces or think I can mix it with the smaller bark chips?

Although, I'm probably answering my own question here... since I feed him in the tank, I'm guessing I should stay away from anything smaller.

I suppose he will get used to burrowing in the large bark -- he just needs to toughen up his nose (he was too spoiled with the soft bedding :rolleyes:)

Sometimes we know the answer, we just hope that we will hear something that we want - and not what we should do.

11. Frognut

I do have his food and water dishes on large slate pieces (there is room to smash on the slate) - he just chooses to carry his food onto the bark and do his thrashing of the food there... :rolleyes:

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

He`s just being awkward, plain as day.... (They`re all the same these Aussies)! :p