This Disappears When Logged In

Repti-Carpet...Wasting Money

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by cs900, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cs900

cs900 Elite Member

Ok, so i'm building a vivarium for my CWD, and I want all the "levels" to have a removable carpet on them (and possibly all the walls as well). I like to look; it's simple, attractive, and easy to clean. So my question is, what's the difference between regular outdoor carpet, like you buy al lowes/home depot; and the fancy stuff you get at the pet store? Seems to me I can buy some outdoor carpeting at lowes for a fraction of the price, clean it off with a 5% bleach mixture, and I should be good to go? Or is there something I'm missing?

2. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Re: Repti-carpet...waisting Money?

I think that the outdoor carpet from a hardware store would be rougher, and also might be more likely to catch on a reptile's claws. But you could always go take a look and see if you think it's right for your project...

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Repti-carpet...waisting Money?

I don't use it myself but I would have the same fear.
    The hardware store carpet was never designed with reptile claws in consideration!

4. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

Re: Repti-Carpet...Wasting Money?

wouldnt be bad for snakes! lol

5. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

they make diffrent kinds of it. Theres some that is like a area rug in style, but more of a runner width. I dunno, my leos got their claws caught in reptile carpet before, but that was me. so who knows.

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

The reptile carpet is supposed to be a tighter weave and the edges aren't supposed to fray with repeated washing.

Astro-turf is definitely a no-no, but I've found indoor/outdoor carpet at the hardware store that is very similar to repti-carpet that I have used in my cages.

The thing is it would cost me a small fortune to outfit an iguana cage with repti-carpet so instead he gets indoor outdoor and I keep his claws trimmed short.

The leopard gecko that I have on repti-carpet gets his nails and teeth stuck all of the time, so I don't know if it is any better, I never see my female gecko who is on the in/out carpet get stuck, but she might just have better coordination. ;)

Whatever you do choose make sure you wash it really well prior to use.

7. cs900

cs900 Elite Member

exactly. I'm trying to cover a 6'x3'x2' enclosure with three triers. that's a lot of repti-carpet! I figure I can cover almost everything with $30 worth of indoor-outdoor carpet. I think i'll give it a try. worst comes to worst, I'll have to swap it out for something later.

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah it's not economical to use repticarpet in a large enclosure.

Keep the dragons claws clipped short and it should be okay.

Look for a carpet that doesn't have loops in the fabric, and make sure it is a short tight weave.

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I don't use it as I've never found a reptile that lives on it in the wild.;)

10. cs900

cs900 Elite Member

I've also never found a reptile living within a confined area in the wild either. That doesn't stop thousands of people from owning them now does it?;)

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Haha. I knew that would come up.

12. cs900

cs900 Elite Member

Haha, yeah. hopefully I didn't come across personally attacking you. thanks not what i ment, just a bit of good humor.

any ways, I went to the hardware store today, and found some outdoor carpet that I think will be perfect. I looks exactly like the repti-carpet stuff i have now, with the exception that it's a little thicker...but that's a good thing! so for $17 I can have all the carpet I need. Pictures of the vivarium to come soon!

13. The JD

The JD Elite Member

lol, I have my 6'x6'x2', three tier enclosure with repti-carpet! I have pictures but need to get them off the camera. Anyway, it wasn't too expensive when I did it. I think it cost me about $30 and I have a little left over. I definately recommend ordering it on-line, it's way marked up at B&Ms. It was $15 for two sheets of 13"x48". For mine I just used thumb tacks and tacked them on. It's easy for me to remove if the lizard dumps on it and easy to put back.

14. cs900

cs900 Elite Member

I'd love to see those pictures! do you have a link to where you bought yours in bulk? I was thinking velcro to hold it down, a little easier to remove for cleaning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.