This Disappears When Logged In

Repti Boost Question

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Genko, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Genko

Genko Elite Member

Can the Repti Boost powder be used to dust feeders instead of mixed with water? My GP Skink has been under the weather; he's doing better, thank goodness, but i think he could use some extra support. I tried to get him to lap the mixture, but he's not having it.

I feel really bad because it's my fault that he got sick. Last year, when I moved him to his glass tank, I put in a layer of calcium sand. I didn't know it was bad until I joined this board, so I removed ASAP. He burrows so ingested a bunch of it, and inhaled the dust. His poop was full of it and sometimes it was like a sand pellet. He also had respiratory problems. Long story short, he seems to be recovering well. He is a very robust lizard.

He is slowing down, like he always does this time of year. Plus he is starting to shed on top of recovering from being sick.

Genko

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes it can but you won't know how much he is actually ingesting.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

4. Genko

Genko Elite Member

Good call, Michele. Thanks for the link!

Thal, have you used it this way? There is a chart for proper dosage, but that is for mixing it with water. I don't know if the water dilutes the strength or not. I don't want to give him too much.

Genko

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I did for an adult beardie. The water does dilute it some so what I did was put the recommended dose in a ziploc with 3 mealworms and then fed the mealworms to the lizard. They obviously don't get the full amount but if only using as a slight supplement not as a necessity it doesn't really matter. If t is a necessity that they recover the full amount then you would have to force the liquid.

6. Genko

Genko Elite Member

Thanks, Thal. That is what I was thinking. Skanky will eat from my hand, but GP's are not handle friendly. He will climb onto my hand and try to climb up my arm, but I don't let him. He struggles if I try to hold him, and it would be very stressful for him if I forced him. He doesn't need any stress right now! And it's not an emergency. He is a hefty dude. The base of his tail is as big around as my thumb.

I emailed the co., so we'll see what they say about. It will be good info to have. I will be sure and post when they reply.

7. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

I have done this before, didn't think twice about it though. I don't see any problem with it.

When I had Athena at the vet, I asked if there was anything I could give Hera (leopard gecko) because when I adopted her she was on sand and there is/was sand in her poop, and she recommended wax worms.

8. Genko

Genko Elite Member

The co. emailed me back, and said, yes, you can dust feeders with the ReptaBoost.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Good to know, thanks!