This Disappears When Logged In

Reintroduction and Enclosure for Hoggs Question

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by Cyclura08, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Cyclura08

Cyclura08 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

wow it's been a while since i've been on here. I remember this place from what seems like forever ago when i was "geckoguy14" better known as Adam. Lots of familiar faces still around (shoutout to Marsha, Dominick, SurvivorSteph, Rich, and Merlin!) Anyways, i'm in college now and my herp collection has been dwindling over the past 2 years that ive been here because of time and space constraints associated with being a biology major and living in an apartment. Now i just have bear, my wonderful 6 y/o beardie.

But anywho, i'm seriously considering getting into the snake scene at last and i've always wanted a Hogg Is. Boa. I might try my luck in finding one at the ATL herp show this year but otherwise i'm looking at big apple herp as a supplier.

my question is (finally haha):
    I've got a glass enclosure that measures 30"L x 12"W X 8"H already setup for whatever serpent i decide on...but i've got a 20 gal Long that i could brig up from home as well if more vertical space is needed for these guys. Generally speaking, about how long will it be before i'm going to need to move a neonate into a larger enclosure? I just dont want to do the big enclosure right off and stress the little guy out.

and i'm either going to build my own enclosure or i've been thinking about turning one of my old cabinets into one. Anyone have experience with this? and what exactly is a fair sized enclosure for this species? The literature is quite varied as always.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice, hope you all are doing well!

-Adam

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome back Adam!
    The enclosure you are talking about will be fine for a hatchling and might, depending on growth rate, last you a year. I would however go for a bit more height.
    For an adult I would plan on at least a 60 gallon tank.
    If you go for a larger snake the time frame will be reduced.

Hoggies are SUPPOSED to be a dwarf variety reaching 3-6ft but I have heard of individuals that got much bigger. Whether this is the result of an overly copious feeding arrangement or a hybridization with one of the other boas is unknown.