This Disappears When Logged In

Rehydration by Soaking.

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by kriminaal, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've noticed several threads lately on this topic. Having read a thread on another forum also made me think about this.
    Soaking a reptile for hydration is a common myth. Reptiles, most anyways have thick skin that cannot absorb water into their system.
    The benefits of soaking are to keep the skin healthy to aid in shedding. As well the reptile may drink more when in the "tub" so to speak.
    This is why proper humidity levels are needed for optimum health. Moisture only enters the body(in most cases)through drinking and also breathing moist air.
    We don't absorb water through our thin skin when bathing.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I believe amphibians are the only herp that absorb through their skin. This is also why it's necessary for their water to be chlorine free.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That would be why I guess they say not to handle them. As they would absorb everything on your hands.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Exactly. And when you do handle them, you must wash and rinse your hands really well.

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

My boa will drink a lot when I give her a bath, so I usually try to fit them in a few times a week, especially during sheds, unless she's feeling grumpy then I just mist her more than usual. :p

6. RGS1954

RGS1954 Active Member

The skin of the cloaca in many aquatic turtles also absorbs small quantities of water as well as oxygen. Weird, but true...

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I think that the common attitude about rehydration by soaking has to do with the animal absorbing water through the vent. Personally I never put much stock in that theory. There can't be THAT much water absorbed there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.