This Disappears When Logged In

Regurgitated For The First Time

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Drache Dame, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

So today I came home and noticed an off smell in my apartment. I tried to locate the smell, and saw that Edgar had regurgitated the rat I fed him this past weekend, as well as pooped twice. I can't remember if I fed him Saturday or Sunday, but it was a small/medium f/t rat from Petco, no larger than anything he's eaten before. He accepted it with gusto, and ate it without a problem. I noticed when I defrosted the rat (and yes, it was definitely thawed all the way through, and was warm when I fed it to him) that it was covered in a bit of blood. I didn't think anything of it, but now I'm wondering if maybe it had been defrosted previously before I bought it? Despite the regurge, Edgar was alert, and active, and when I cleaned his tank he was acting the same as he normally does, trying to climb up the glass or up my arm.

Now for temps: I have a day bulb and a night bulb as well as a side-mounted UTH. The warm side of the tank is 85/90F during the day, and the cool side is 75/80F. At night it gets to ~75/80 on the warm side, and 70/75 on the cool side.

He's never regurgitated before, and I'm hoping it doesn't happen again. Any idea what could have caused this? Should I contact Petco? At what point does he need to see a vet?

ETA: I /JUST/ saw one of my cats jump from the floor onto the top of his cage. I wonder if she did this and scared him/threatened him and that caused him to regurge.

2. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

What kind of snake is Edgar?

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I would think the the cat getting too close is as good a guess as any to explain it. Why are the cats allowed near the enclosure (even if you`re in the room with them)?

4. ExoJoe

I agree. Regurgitation and defecating are both signs of a startled animal.

5. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Well it's the corn snake forum... ;)

It's a small apartment (temporary living situation), and there's one main room. I've put a box on top of the tank so the cats can't jump on top. However, I've had him since he was a hatchling (he's 6 years old), and he's been around multiple cats and dogs without regurging, which is why I'm still a bit skeptical that was the only cause. I'll continue to keep an eye on him and make sure he's behaving normally, and I'll try to feed him again in a few weeks.

Are there any signs of ill-health I should be looking for?

6. ExoJoe

I suppose I never thought to look up at the category. Must have been one of them moments lol.