This Disappears When Logged In

Red Wiggler Question.

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by krisleah, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krisleah

krisleah Elite Member

I have a 3 or 4 g. plastic fish tank with reg wiggers in it. Originally, they were intended to just feed them to my FBTs once in awhile, but, as it turns out, the toads are picky. If one eats crickets, the other wont, and I have to feed it worms.. My RES also noms the worms like theyre the best thing ever invented..

So, here's my question. Does anyone know anything about breeding them? My tank is full of eggs, but it doesn't seem like they're hatching. I've tried looking it up and all I can find is places to buy red wigglers or just that the eggs take 3 weeks to hatch.

So, if anyone has any advice on what to do to give a better hatch rate, suggestions, or a page they know of that might help me, that'd be great! The local stores don't sell them, so I have to drive about a half an hour to pick them up. I'd much rather just get the eggs to hatch.

Thanks!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Keep in mind that I know nothing about red wigglers. However the case with insects is they require warmth to hatch.
    You could try raising the temps to see what happens.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

4. krisleah

krisleah Elite Member

5. krisleah

krisleah Elite Member

I'll have to try that. I'll have to figure out a way to raise the temp in there a little. I have this nift blanket you put in the microwave and it stays hot for like 2 hours, and right now, thats the only thing I can think of. haha. Any suggestions? I don't have an extra heater. I'd be afraid of putting one under it because the tank is plastic and might melt as well.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You can keep the bin on top of the frog tank. I often do that.

7. krisleah

krisleah Elite Member

That's a good idea. I'll have to try that and see how that goes. I put some warm water in there today to moisten up the dirt (not water log) and covered it, so I'm hoping that might make it a little warmer in there.. I'm not sure why, but, I do. :p but I'll try it on top of the toad tank and see how that goes. These little jerks need to come out of their eggs so I can feed them to my toads gosh darn it!

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You don't do anything with them. You just leave them in the bins to hatch.

9. krisleah

krisleah Elite Member

Well, I meant how to hatch them.. like the temp and conditions that are best suited for the hatching of the eggs. I figured you just left them in there, but since doing that in the current conditions is resulting in ..well... nothing.. I was sorta hoping someone could help me out a little on some info on how to get them to hatch.

10. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Here's a little information I found.

The basic environmental factors which affect earthworm breeding, growth, and general health are: temperature, moisture, aeration, food material, and ph (acidity-alkalinity).

Temperature. Earthworms will die in freezing temperatures, so they protect themselves by moving to lower depths in growing-beds or soils. They will live and breed at temperatures up to about 85 or 90 degrees F. For commercial earthworm production, ideal temperatures for growth and activity range from 60 to 80 degrees F. For intensive cocoon production and hatching, bed temperatures should be between 60 and 70 degrees F.

Moisture. Earthworms require adequate moisture for growth and survival. Beds should be crumbly moist, not soggy wet. They should not be exposed to direct sunshine. To enhance cocoon production after worms are fully established, beds should be allowed to dry until the top 2 inches are barely moist. Then sprinkle sufficiently to restore normal moisture content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.