This Disappears When Logged In

Red Tail or Common Boa Enclosure Help?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Hkg, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Okay. I might be buying a sunglow red tail boa. At least they say it's a red tail. I asked them for info and they know nothing about the snake. They don't know if it has albino in it, if it's Bci or bcc, etc... They only know it's a male. So, If I get it I will build it a cage. I For sure can build a 5x3x2 ft cage. No problem. But I kinda want to build a tall cage so it can climb. If this boa is Bci would it climb amungst branches in a tall cage and perch in them? I don't want to build a 6 or 7 ft tall cage if it's only gonna use max 3 ft in height. Y'know? Also would a true red tail utuallize the height? I know it's good to provide it just incase but I'm looking into also rescuing a albino Nelson's milk snake too. So if I build the 5x3x2 (LxWxH) I would build cages for my corn and the milk. That is if I get these snakes. I was gonna pick up a amazon tree boa and red tail on Saturday but the lady sold them out from under me.
    Also, the sunglow has only one eye, due to a live feeding incident with the first owner. I don't know if that matters.

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Boas do climb occasionally, though they are generally less active than your average corn or milk snake. It largely depends on the age of the snake and the species, too. If he's docile you can take him out for excercise sessions around the house/garden (weather permitting:)), but if you're not planning to handle him or let him out very often then it might be a good idea to put some branches in the enclosure so he has the opportunity to excercise a bit. You'll have to get something sturdy, though, as they are quite heavy-bodied snakes (can weigh anywhere between 20 and 60 pounds with females sometimes reaching over 100pounds - again, depends on the species). Alternatively, you can build a shelf for him to rest on about halfway up the enclosure (again, bear in mind his weight as an adult) and I can almost guarantee that he will use it. IMHO an adult redtail is more likely to climb onto a shelf/rock/nook than to hang out high in the treetops, if you get what I mean;)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As far as I know, sunglows are a morph of common boa, Boa constrictor imperator. And they are produced using an albino.
    While they might use taller spaces when young, they are more prone to ground life when they get older and heavier. So most don't bother with height.

4. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Yeah. Thank you. I think I'll go with the smaller one. It's plenty big. The snake is about 4 or 5 feet in length now, so it's not super huge yet. And if it gets to much bigger I can always upgrade. It'll be expensive but it's still an option. Thanks again for the help

5. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Ahh. I see. Thank you. Like I said above in my previous reply, I'm just gonna go with the 5x3x2 it's plenty big and I can still add some height in the cage due to the snake being rather small still. It it gets to much bigger ill upgrade him again. Thank you for your help. And if I get him I'll post pictures!

6. Poison

Poison Elite Member

An adult boa will often lay in trees as well. So long as you provide climbing space and thick branches. I don't know about BCC's but BCI's are often found in trees in the wild (also found at ground level).