This Disappears When Logged In

Red Tail Boa - Eating Issues/General Health Concerns

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by poolmanjim, Oct 30, 2010.

1. poolmanjim

poolmanjim Member

I was going to call the event center and find out about policies. If nothing else, I may be able to find some local breeders who would be able to assist.

Thanks for the input.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It would not be up to the event center but the show promoter. The event center just rents a room.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I think that this is a great idea, for all involved. Not only to find her a home but also talk to breeders and learn a lot of information on different types of snakes.

4. poolmanjim

poolmanjim Member

Well an update. He finally ate last night and he did so in a hasty fashion. I have never seen him scarf down a mouse that fast before but he did.

The temperature in his tank has leveled out and I have him on an approximately 12/12 day night cycle. It is easier to do it that way since I don't have timers right now. The temperature has settled it is about average 80 degrees at night (76-78 on the cold side and 80-81 on the hot) with temps averaging 86 during the day (84-85 cold side and 87-91 hot side). He has fair cover on both sides (a half log on the hot side and log that sits in the corner on the cold side with his water dish).

His shed went well it was all one piece minus a few spots where it stuck. I'm going to give him a couple of days to "work it off" before I'll toss him in a pillow case to work it out. Other than that he is lively and energetic again and he seems to be enjoying the tank more.

Thanks for all the help and even for the criticism, I needed a good kick in the butt to get my act together. I will be contacting people this next week to see if I can get the ball rolling on getting rid of him but for now, he is doing much better and seems much happier.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its good to hear. Boas are great snakes, but not everyone's cup of tea.
    As for the stuck shed, if its just small peices you can put him in a tub of lukewarm water for 10 minutes or so and the leftover should just roll right off with your hand.

6. mld

Wonderful news, glad to hear he ate and had a decent shed.

7. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

You said you love him...and you have now learned a lot more on how to keep and care for him. Obviously, he is a lot better now than when you found him.

So why not keep him yourself, to ensure that he continues to be with an owner who loves him and is learning willingly how to care for him?

You may feel badly after you sell him. Or give him away, even.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for caring about him and trying!:)

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Congratulations PoolmanJim!

It sounds as though you are stepping into the light! I remember reading(and responding to) your post when you first found him. I tried to tell you you were gonna keep it then. It sounds as though, after all this work to improve his situation, you may end up wanting to keep it after all. They really are amazing snakes -I now have five of them. If I did not think my wife would separate my head from my shoulders, I would have sent you the money for him myself. Good luck if you do decide to get rid of her/him, if you do decide to keep her/him, you have a great group of folks to get help from. I will do anything I can to help out(without actually buying it, mind you- I am a bit partial to my head, lol).

Take care,
    David

9. mld

David, you just brought tears to my eyes reading this post, thats so nice. If it wasn't for needing a head!

10. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Awww, shucks!!!! Thanks Michele. :">