This Disappears When Logged In

Red Spot?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by powerman659, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powerman659

powerman659 Active Member

Okay, I'm a little worried
    My iguana got a red spot on his mouth a couple of days ago and it hasn't gone away and I don't know what it is.
    Anyone maybe know??? =(
    red spot.jpg

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

could be mouth rot. If it is mouth rot, you will need to get your Ig to a vet asap.

3. powerman659

ok
    is that what it looks like???
    should I take him incase or what?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Mouth rot can become very serious very fast (there is a post on it in the ball python forum you should check out) and the sooner you get it checked out, the easier it will be to treat.

Better to get him to the vet just in case. If it's nothing, well, he got a checkup, and you'll sleep easier. If it is mouth rot, the sooner you start treatment the better.

5. powerman659

Ok I'll try and find it now and read up
    and I'll get him to the vet as soon as I can because no one wants any thing to happen to their poor reps. =)

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am sorry to hear about the red spot.:(

Can he maybe have scraped his mouth against something like wire?

How does his mouth look inside?

Is he eating like normal?

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

It looks more like a scrape isn't mouth rot normally a red spot closer to the mouth? And gross looking inside the mouth?

8. kritrdr

kritrdr Member

Any red spot in or on the mouth is worth of an examination by a vet. If a red spot has worn through the mouth tissue (mucosa) or through the scales down to the skin, then this problem has broken several of the "defense" mechanisms set in place to protect your pet. Remember reptiles get sick slow and get well slow so the longer you wait the longer the treatment. Which also means your pet is sick longer and you pay more $ for longer treatment.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. Its hard to tell from the photo but it could be anything from an injury to a piece of dried stuck on food. Have you tried letting the lizard soak in a bath for a while and see if it comes off?
    It also appears from the photo that the iguanas mouth doesn't fully close. This could be an indication of MBD.

10. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Have you been in to see a veterinarian yet? If so, what was the verdict? We are all hoping for the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.