This Disappears When Logged In

Red Poop?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Lauren Perry, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Lauren Perry

Lauren Perry Member

I have an adult Bearded Dragon, I'm not sure his exact age but he's at least 2+. I'm his 3rd home (that I know of) and I've only had him a few months. When I first got him he had pretty bad diarrhea but I assumed it was due to poor diet, I got his diet fixed up and he's had very normal poos since, until today. He eats very well, loves dubias, salad and butternut squash (although he hasn't had the squash in a week so I assume the color couldn't be from that?) But today when he pooped it had a small puddle of liquid around it, and 2 reddish colored bits. When I was cleaning it up I squished it (gross, I know) and it isn't red all the way through, it's white on the inside. Does anyone know what these are? Otherwise he's acting very normal, he's not losing weight or anything like that. I'm currently looking for a new exotic vet, as my previous one shut down. I'd appreciate any input!

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it may just be the pic but it looks more of a brown colour than red (normal)? Just for the sake of asking, can you give some details of the conditions including ambient (air) and basking surface temps plus the humidity range and how you measure those, lastly, a few photos of the whole enclosure including a view of the whole top? Thanks!

Lauren Perry likes this.
  3. Lauren Perry

Lauren Perry Member

I wouldn't say it was red, maybe orangeish? The poop looked normal colored, maybe the bits are urate? He's my first beardie so this is all new to me, and I worry about everything!

His enclosure is 40 gallons, tile as the substrate, I measure the hot side with a HydroFarm thermostat, and it also has a stick on thermometer on the wall. On the cool side I use a ZooMed digital thermometer with a probe. I've had the hardest time finding a good hygrometer though. At the moment I'm just using the one that previous owners had in the tank, one of those sticky types. His cool side is about 77.5 F°, ambient temperature in the hot side is about 93 F° from what I can tell, that thermometer really isn't great, and his basking spot is about 109.8 F° Humidity looks about 49%? Im not sure how accurate that is though. I'll get pictures of his enclosure asap! If you have any advice on these temperatures I'd love to hear it!

4. Lauren Perry

Lauren Perry Member

Here's his enclosure, and a picture of Rio as well! He spends probably about an hour (sometimes more or less) outside of his enclosure daily, if that's of any importance!

Attached Files:

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the pics and details, I don`t have much time because it`s late over here so I`ll just go through the basics.
    You cannot read the surface temp at the basking site accurately unless you use an IR Temp-gun (I`ll put a link up).
    Neither are the analogue gauges accurate, so you`ll also need a digital hygrometer. This all means you/we have no idea what the temps or humidity might really be?
    I would not allow the dragon any more than a few minutes outside the enclosure unless the conditions closely resemble their natural climate (I`m guessing they don`t)?
    You basically need to know two temps during the day: the lowest ambient (air) @ approx 21 to 24c (72 to 75f) then the surface temp of the basking object @ between approx 40 to 45c (105 to 115f) so if your figure were accurate (doubtful) it would be o.k. The humidity needs to range between approx 30 to 50% or so.
    Keep asking questions, hopefully other will respond, I`ll be back online tomorrow your time (tuesday).
    Give me 5mins to put links up.....

Digital Infrared Handheld Temperature Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point
    Digital Thermometer & Hygrometer Combined Gauge with remote probes Max/Min | eBay

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Lauren Perry likes this.
  6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Last few words for this evening; the tiles are o.k but they do not allow natural behaviours such as digging/burrowing, much better to use a particulate substrate such as a chemical free soil and playsand mix, 5 or 6 inches deep and well packed down (try a 50/50 mix).

Lauren Perry likes this.
  7. Lauren Perry

Lauren Perry Member

I am pretty confident in the surface temperatures, I had borrowed a friend's temperature gun once and there was maybe a 1-2° difference from my thermometers but I didn't check the ambient temperature

On the time outside the tank, in another reptile group I was told he needs at least 39 minutes outside the tank daily, so i purposely got him out more often! Now I feel bad about it, ha.

Thank you for your help!

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They lose heat very quickly (minutes) so as I mentioned, limit the outside time to 10 to 15 minutes.

Lauren Perry likes this.
  9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A temp gun will only register the temperature of the surface of a solid object. It will not read air temps nor will it register glass or water.

One thing you will learn is there are a lot of people who give advise who have no clue what they are talking about. In a properly set up enclosure there is no reason to take them from the enclosure save for our enjoyment. They would do just fine being left alone.

Lauren Perry likes this.
  10. Lauren Perry

Lauren Perry Member

Thanks for the reply and advice! Do you think the poop looks concerning?

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The red does look a bit strange. Just keep an eye on it and if it continues to come out red, assuming the absence of foods that could affect it, I would see a vet.

Lauren Perry likes this.
  12. Lauren Perry

Lauren Perry Member

He pooped today and there was no puddle of liquid, and no red at all. Hopefully all is well!