This Disappears When Logged In

Red or blue night lights with ball pythons

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by replover, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Hi. I know they say that red or blue lights do not bother snakes at night as they can't see this frequency. But for those who have used red or blue night heat bulbs with their ball pythons, from experience, does it seem to bother them at all? Or are these just more marketing claims with no basis?

If it does work ok with balls, does it work for colubrids? Do they see the red or blue at all and does it interupt their behavior?

2. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

it works with all snakes they can´t see the colour any way. I use the red ones and blue they both seem to work identical(sp) just depends what you want to look at in the evening.

3. replover

replover Elite Member

So they can't see either blue nor red? Wow, they must not see much at all, perhaps mostly green?

I think blue would be more pleaseing to the human eye when viewing them...

I would take it that these bulbs are safer than CHEs... and allows for viewing of the reptiles. Do they produce similar amounts of heat per watt as compared to the CHEs?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Supposedly snakes see only in black and white and shades of grey. My experience with the colored bulbs is that the animals can see them regardless of what the marketing says. I have seen animals looking straight at them. However they really don't put out much more light than a strong full moon. My BPs are in my living room and it is not uncommon for them to be out cruising long before lights out.
    Another problem with the bulbs is that they have a tendency to burn out very quickly, sometimes in as little as 2 weeks. And always at an inopportune time!
    I prefer CHE's and heating pads.

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

My snakes did not seem to like the red light bulbs. They come out more when I have no lights on inside the terrarium at night. Also those lamps are no substitute for a proper heating pad or CHE with a thermostat control.

(My neighbors used to think I had some "business" going on at night with my apartment windows all lit up in a red glow!!)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LMAO! At least you weren't "visited" by the local constables!

7. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i've used both blue and red bulbs, and i'm currently using red bulbs now and i don't notice a difference in my snakes' behavior. they act the same they do even if i turn the light off and have the blinds up on my windows. i prefer the red though because it seems to give out more heat when i need it like in the winter time. :) but i also use heating pads all the time.

8. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

My experience is the same. I believe my snakes were able to see the bulbs, but it didn't seem to affect their behavior much. And it's weird how some bulbs burned out REALLY FAST, as you said in as little as two weeks, and others I had lasted months and months. You just never know! It can get expensive replacing those darned bulbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.