This Disappears When Logged In

Red Night Lights

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Mike954, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Mike954

Mike954 Member

So ever since I put up the red L.E.D rope lights in the viv my BRB seems to be moving around alot more.

Do the red lights make the snake more active at night?

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Im not sure if its the exact same thing, but leopard geckos come out at night, and I use a red night light, and Im almost 100% sure they cant see red, and I tried leaving on in the day once, and he was out all day thinking it was night. So if Rainbow Boas are nocturnal, if definitly explains it.

3. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

They can see the red light.

4. PrincessPiper

PrincessPiper Well-Known Member

My RT boa is super active with the red light. As soon as I turn that light on she is crawling all over her tank. :)

5. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

I'm not experienced with snakes at all, but every agamid I have ever kept has tried (albeit dysfunctionally) to be active under the red lights. By "dysfunctionally", I mean: they seem to think it's time to wake up and bask, but their pupils are very dilated, and they move very slowly as if they can't quite make out their surroundings without some thought.

Ever since I replaced the night time supplemental "red light" with ceramic, my agamids sleep through the night like pet rocks. Under red light they exhibit all sorts of odd (and frankly, kindof creepy) behaviors.