This Disappears When Logged In

Red Light?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Aaronthomas, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Aaronthomas

Aaronthomas Well-Known Member

Can crested geckos see any red light at all?

2. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

No all reptiles can see all colors except red and purple. Somebody told me red light bothers them but it never bothered my lizard or other peoples' lizards that I talked to. He said it works for some doesn't work for others.

3. Aaronthomas

So it would be ok to use it as a 24/7 heat light?

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I would explain which light you're referring to. True infrared cannot be seen; however, most 'infrared' lights you purchase at pet stores are a combination of red + infrared which means they can be seen. The lights are coated with a red paint of sorts to allow for nighttime viewing, whereas plain infrared lights don't put out much light at all. Since I purchase all of my lighting from pet stores, I avoid all the red lights just to be safe, and opt for the Night Black Heat Lights or Ceramic Heat Emitters (if heat is needed at all).

My one crestie has 2.0 UVB lights on her enclosure (as she's in a planted tank) and the lights themselves put off a little heat, enough to keep her enclosure within range. My other crestie just has a plain 50W incandescent light which also puts off enough heat to keep her enclosure where it should be. Nighttime temps can drop down to 65F without issue, so as long as those temps are maintained, you likely won't need a nighttime light. However, if you are looking for nighttime viewing, while I've never used them myself, many recommend the moonlight blue bulbs instead.

5. Aaronthomas

Pro rep red bulbs iv got but I don't know if they can be used all the time because it pretty cold in my room?

6. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Listen like cassi said I would use ceramic heat emitters. Geckos are nocturnal. It would make things easier if you used those.

7. chawk

chawk Banned User

our cwd dosen't like the red bulbs for night or does and runs around till midnight or later