This Disappears When Logged In

Red Foot Tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Evozakira, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Ok so a friend of mine has a Red Footed Tortois that has been haveing a issue. I thought Id ask here to see if anyone has had this issue before because I might adopt it from him. If the humidity drops down low his eyes fog up like white out. He says if he brings it up to like 80% then they clear up but go back to that when it drops again. He took it to the vet and they gave him eye drops for him. Has anyone heard of this before and is it a problem that can be fixed? Either way I would like to take them lil one and give him proper care so he can live a good life.

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Sounds like you just need to keep the humidity up. Red foots are rain forest inhabitants, and require higher humidity than most other species.

3. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

If its that simple ill gladly adopt him.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Be aware that they get pretty big. Not as big as say a sulcata, but big enough to where keeping an adult inside is not very practical. And make sure you do your research! :)

5. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Oh then I might have to pass. Whats a good tortoise that can be kept inside. Idk if ill still be in cold state in a year or not so inside might be only choice besides summers.

6. justor

justor Elite Member

Mediterranean (Testudo) species are the smallest. I decided to get a Greek tortoise, but you could also do a Russian or Herman's tortoise. They all tend to stay pretty small. I would say the largest individuals would max out around 10-12 inches, and males are typically smaller.

7. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I was thinking of a baby Greek I saw. He's super cute and sweet :)

8. justor

justor Elite Member

I love my baby Greek. He is so full of personality lol. They are great little torts.

9. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Thanks for your help. I will start doing research so I have the proper set up for when I decide to pick him up. You have any pictures of your guy and his set up by chance?,

10. justor

justor Elite Member

I've got a few laying around...

Picture050.jpg

Picture044B.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Picture071.jpg

Picture073.jpg

5a88a6b9.jpg

Attached Files: