This Disappears When Logged In

Red Foot Baby

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by mackzbaby, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mackzbaby

mackzbaby Active Member

I recently got a rescue red foot baby tortoise. She was not very well taken care of at all. She came to me with swollen eyes and a very soft shell. I have already taken her to the vet. given her some shots of calcium, and got her started on a better diet. The vet says that she has mbd, and vitamin A diffecency. She is eating great and bulldozing around her enclosure. My question is though, I'm worried that I might be feeding her too much or else too little. She is only about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches long. I don't want her shell to pyramid from too much food and I also don't want her to be under fed. She is gaining weight so I doubt I'm feeding too little. When I first got her she weighed 35g and she is up to 41g.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not a tortoise keeper so I may be wrong but its my understanding that the problem with pyramiding is caused by too much protien in the diet not too much food itself. Jay or Kenman are more up on torts so they would be better able to help.
    Good for you for taking her in!

3. aasagan

aasagan Junior Member

I recently did the same thing with an Eastern Box turtle, totally malnourished on every parameter, and had the same concern, and asked the exotic vet the same question. She said not to worry unless the turtle was no longer able to get her limbs or head back into her shell. I don't think she was being funny either. Feed away, basically.

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.