This Disappears When Logged In

Red Eyed Tree Frog Wont Eat! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Pharoe, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Pharoe

Pharoe Member

Hey everyone,

I am a new user and cant wait to hear your replies and view other posts. I have a 2 1/2" red eye tree frog. He/she is in a 40 gallon breeder tank. Not as tall as say a Exo-Terra Terrarium. but still high. I have had him for a week and a half now. I asked the owner of the store if it was a CB and he said it was...so I dont think he has any worms or anything. It is a really shy frog and sleeps all day and all night. Please help with any information.

Thanks
    Pharoe

2. jtwilson3

jtwilson3 Elite Member

OK Pharoe, welcome to the forum first of all.

Now what you will have to do is mention now what everything in your cage is like. What are the temps on hot side? Cool side? Basking Spot? Do they have UVB? What are you feeding them? Is it dusted with calcium? What is the humidity of the tank? What is the overall tank set up (Decorations, water bowls, etc.). What type of thermometer do you use?

If you put all this, someone will come by shortly and help you. But people do need to know this information.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

yep, depending on your care.. he may or may not eat.

I will say, a 40 gallon breeder is not sufficient. These guys need height. That tank is not nearly tall enough. There is an easy way to make a tank, with the 40 on its end making it tall. If you are interested, I can supply links on how to do this. A 29 gallon tank, although smaller, would be better, because it is much taller. a 37 gallon tank, which has the footprint of a 29, but taller, is even better.

Red eye tree frogs are very shy animals. You may not see your frog move. He may appear to be never moving, but what they are really good at, is not getting up until very late in the night, and then returning to the exact same spot later. Theses guys are almost impossible to tong feed, they are far too shy. Best to leave a few crickets in the tank and let them hunt. Be sure to put in a carrot, so the crickets have something to eat.

4. Pharoe

Pharoe Member

I actually thought about turning the tank, I just don't have the information to do it. I would really appreciate those links.

One more thing I read the debate on another blog about temperature. According to you Liz, it should be anywhere from 80-85. Well my temp is @ about 73 on the cool side and at 78/79 on the warm side. I am using a uvb 50w light bulb. How can I use a thermostat/anything to heat up the tank? I have a repti fogger so my humidity usually stays at about 80-90%. Is there anywhere I can get a timer to set it up to...like a hardware store?

Thank you so much,
    Pharoe

5. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

You probably don't need a thermostat for the lightbulb, instead you can either up the wattage on the bulb, or switch to the red heat lamps. They put out more heat then a regular lightbulb. You would still want a daytime/nighttime schedule using a low watt regular bulb (that can be hooked up to a timer set to go on/off every 12 hours).

If you are getting 75/79ºf with a regular bulb, you should have no trouble switching to a red heat lamp to get the temps you need.

I've never used a fogger, so I'm not sure if it would be able to be used on a timer - but someone should chime in on that soon enough.

Welcome to HC!!

6. Pharoe

Pharoe Member

Thanks I'm going to head out to petco tomorrow and get a red lightbulb...what wattage should I get? Would a 75 be too much?

7. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Go with a 50w heat lamp. Since they put out more heat than your regular bulb and you only need another 5+º, I would think you should be good with a 50w.

Good Luck!

8. missa6849

missa6849 Guest

Our RETF is notorious for "not eating" or so it seams. But the truth of the matter is you dont see them eat very often. At first we did. But now she takes her sweet time before she eats anything. Staring at pray for over 5 min before jumping to it.

75 W will probably be to hot. I use a 60W moon light heat bulb on a dimmer that only gets turned up about half way. And that keeps it right in the 80-85* range. And at night I turn the dimmer down for a 75* temp.

Our RETF gets about 5 crickets put in her cage every 3 days or so. She is also full grown as yours.

9. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

To answer your Repti Fogger question. I run a couple of those for our little guys that need the high humidity.

I found a dial timer at lowes that has half hour settings. I have my reptifogger turn on for a half hour. Then shut off again for an hour and a half. Then comes back on for a half hour.

It does a good job of keeping my humidity consistantly about 70% and when it turns on brings humidity up to 90%. Then gradually goes down to around 70% again. Which is about when the Timer turns the fogger on again.

I found it at lowes and it looks like any other dial timer just has the set pins all they way around and you pull the pins up during the times you want it off.

10. schlegelbagel

I gave up on the bulb guessing game. I installed a CHE on a thermostat, and used a fluorescent tube for daytime light.

If the temp is 85 on the warm end, your cool end should be sufficient.

Here is a link to a vertical conversion kit, but I bet you could make your own with some silicone, some screen and plexiglass.

Conversion Kits – Jungle Box

11. Pharoe

Pharoe Member

I can not explain my appreciation! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Yoga (my RETF) is out and about on the hunt! I got a zoomed ceramic heat emitter yesterday and it boosted my tank heat up to a perfect consistent 85 degrees and I also went to lowes and picked up a daily timer and set it for 30 mins on 30 off and ive had it like that for a couple days now and I stayed up studying tonight for a midterm tomorrow and i caught him eating!

once again THANK YOU!!!
    Pharoe

12. schlegelbagel

Glad it seems to be working out!