This Disappears When Logged In

Red Eared Sliders

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Broken_Lyrix, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken_Lyrix

Broken_Lyrix Elite Member

I searched the internet, researched the topic, and wrote down everything that I thought would be important. My turtle has clean water, room to swim, and a place to hide. Eivey has a heat lamp, as well as the recommended UV light which is needed for some of his/her vitamins, and yet, I think he/she is not adapting well. I am concerned that if I don't get some advice, my turtle is going to die, which I would really rather did not happen. I don't understand what went wrong, he/she doesn't seem to be eating, do turtles eat at night?? I had flakes, but I can't tell whether they are being eaten so I got some turtle pellets, and some of the "Turtle Delights" which are supposed to be treats, in order to entice them to eat. I am counting what I put into the tank as food, and checking often. I really am quite worried, in the first few days Eivey was energetic, and now seems less enthused about swimming, I make sure I clean my hands before touching him/her, and I have followed all the rules I have read about, with the exception of a Herp vet, as I have not yet found one in my area. Please if you have any suggestions, let me know, so my turtle will have more of a chance of being ok.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the temperatures of the enclosure? What size enclosure are you using? What is the temperature of the water? What is the temperature of the basking spot? What type of UV light are you using and how close (in inches) is it to the turtle? How long have you had the turtle?

These questions are going to be asked by whoever posts in this thread, so it's best to get them listed now.

3. Broken_Lyrix

I have followed the rules, my temperatures are 25C for the water and warmer for the basking area. The lights are six inches from his tank, the temperatures are correct, I know that much. His enclosure is big enough for his size, a 20 gallon tank, as he is very tiny. I have only had him a week tomorrow. I just don't want anything to happen to him.

4. Broken_Lyrix

Do turtles eat at night?

5. venus

venus Founding Member

If you have only had him a week, he could still be getting used to his new home and is stressed. Give him another week to adjust.

6. Broken_Lyrix

I'm just worried he will not make it, I am concerned, as when I got him he was energetic, and now his energy level went down. I had a goldfish in with him, for company, but I read that they can make turtles sick, so I took him out today, which is when I noticed the decrease in energy. Could he be lonely now?

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are extremely concerned about him not eating, purchase a few guppies and toss those in his swimming area. Turtles are natural predators and will eat the guppies without an issue. Their activity may gain his attention and help trigger a feeding response.

Guppies and other feeder fish should only be used as treats. I am tossing that in there so no one reading this post starts feeding them daily. ;)

I also agree that he may be getting used to his new environment. A week is not a very long adjustment period. Give the guppies a try. If they aren't eaten immediately, they will eventually be eaten. ;)

8. Broken_Lyrix

Guppies are so expensive at pet stores, do you know of other places they can be aquired? Do bait shops sell guppies? I am willing to spend the money on Eivey, and I also read that they will hunt guppies, he loved playing with the goldfish I had in there, or trying to eat it, either way, he was enjoying that. I also know that they should be just a treat. I didn't move into the decision for a turtle blindly, I thought it over and researched if thoroughly, it is different than what I read, everything told me they would be easy, and complicated at the same time, maybe it just seems difficult because he is new. Thank you for the guppy suggestion, I will try it tomorrow when I am in town again I will pick up some guppies.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You should be able to find guppy feeders at any pet store for about $0.25 each. Don't look for the fancy guppies (the ones with the pretty tails).

Also, be sure your lamp produces UVB. UVB is VERY important. "Full spectrum" is not UVB, It should say UVB and be more expensive than all the other bulbs.

10. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Also, is the water you have for him filtered? How much do you have in the tank?

11. Broken_Lyrix

I purchased everything that the turtle needed when I got him/her. UVB light, and such, the tank has enough water, I was already assured of that. He/she is just not really adapting perfectly.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Replying to questons by saying that you have everything that you need and that you were assured of that, isn't helpful.
    There is a reason that certain questions are asked and an actual answer will do much more to enable us to try to help you.

13. Broken_Lyrix

If I didn't already have what I needed, I would say, I don't think I have what I need. I do have what I need, uv lamp, heat lamp, heater, filter, all the necessary things. I know what he needs, I just need to know why he is sluggish. Please don't be so harsh, I dislike people assuming I don't know anything at all.

14. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

I do know that red ear didn't eat much at first either. She really perked up when I put some feeder goldfish in there. Think it made it more instinctual to eat at that point.

15. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

They aren't being harsh. We've seen many people who say they knew what they're animals need and when they post what materials they have, what their enclosure is like and their temps, they don't know that maybe their temps are a bit off by a degree or two and that can affect an animals health. Nobody is assuming you don't know anything. Also, not all UVB is created equal the same with filtration.

We ask these questions not to make the person feel like they don't know what they're doing or to be rude, they do it because many cases of sluggish or ill animals can be fixed with knowing what the owner is doing in case something may be off. Questions we ask help with the well being of any herps.

These are typical questions we ask to know. We aren't in your house with you so we wouldn't know the conditions in which you keep your animals. We can't make a proper guess on what could be wrong with him without knowing the environment he's in. And if we don't know the run down on an animal we can't point you in the right direction so it's kind of like you're leaving us in the dark so it makes it harder to answer your questions. Environment effects the way the turtle will act.

16. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

What DarkMagician said. You asked for help as to why your turtle might be sluggish. We can't give you a suggestion without knowing the exacts. We were/are all at the learning stages, either right now or at some point.

The more you tell us about the specifics, the more we can answer your questions. Besides, if you say i have xx temps, and xx filtration and xx UVB light and it's the right stuff, we'll just say, "Yup, you have all that right"

No one is calling you dumb. In fact we are happy you are looking to make the best environment for your turtle. :)

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It wasn't harsh,...it's proper procedure. You came here looking for advice but refused to give us specifics of questions that were asked. If you won't talk to us we can't help.
    You would not be the first person who "had everything right" based on what some kid in a pet store told them,...
    only to find that they were as wrong as they could be!

18. Broken_Lyrix

Ok well to clear everything up, I do know the temps are correct, I have a Repto Glo UVB lamp, and my parents used to own a petstore, so I do know the basics of turtle care, what they need, and all that. I just didn't understand why Eivey was so sluggish, he has perked up quite a bit now, and actually sits at the walls of his confines looking around my house like "I wish I could travel out there" It's really cute. I used to own turtles when I was younger, my mother kept a record of the things I would need, his set up was correct. And you all were correct about his getting used to his environment. Now that his tank is at a constant, he seems to be really quite happy. My newest concern is my cat lol, she likes to sit and stare at him. I keep her put away in her room when I am not around to monitor their interactions. Thank you all for your reassurances that you are not assuming I am stupid. I appreciate your input truly, but have had a lot of trouble with people telling me I don't know what I am doing. So I apologize. Thank you all very much, and as soon as I can, I will post some pictures of Eivey so you can all see his adorable little self. Much like babies, I definitely wish he could stay this small, lol, but I know that isn't a possibility.

19. Broken_Lyrix

Also, I am happy to report that Eivey has become quite a confident swimmer too, I am so pleased with his progress, it appears that he eats best at night, which is what I am really concerned about, because with most animals it seems that they shouldn't eat at night, is this alright??

20. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I know it sounds like we are beating a dead horse, but please give the exact model of UV lamp you are using.

If you did the proper research, you should clearly know that there are many so-called "UV" lamps on the market that do not propduce enough useable UVB to be any benefit to the turtle, and most certainly turtles need UV exposure.

There are whole websites dedicated to just this one topic of poor-performing UV lamps. So please, tell us the exact make and model of the lamp and also how far it is from the face of the lamp to the basking spot.

Without the proper UV exposure, your turtles shell will begin to deform and its system cannot operate properly to maintain good health. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.