This Disappears When Logged In

Red Eared Slider Diet

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Jay1718, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

I have read that RES need 2/3 quality turtle pellets and 1/3 plants, with the occasional treat. I feed mine repto pellets every other day and either red or green leaf lettuce every day.
    I have heard that to much protein can be bad for turtles, so I try to balance his diet out.
    Anyone got any tips on how you feed your turtles?
    Another question, live minnows in the tank, I go fishing a lot so most of the time I have left over minnows. I have been putting them in the tank with my turtle, he eventually eats them but they seem to keep the tank clean until they have all been eatin.
    By allowing constant access to fish, am I over feeding my turtle? A dozen minnows last at least a week or two. I do not put any more than 12, just to be sure the ammonia level shoot up.
    Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi. The edit your using now sounds fine except for the lettuce. It tends to be low on nutrients. I use a general mix for all my herbavore/omnivore animals, which is usually made up of kale, collard, mustard, and dandelion greens, along with a couple others I can't think of at the moment. The mix does not always contain all of these, nor are they always in equal proportions. It depends greatly on what is available when I go to the store. But in the long run it all balances out. I used to have a link to a very nice list of the general greens that could be fed to reptiles, but I can't find it at the moment, but that is where I developed my mix from.
    So for my turtles, the primary food is Mazuri aquatic turtle diet, along with the afore mentioned greens. Things I add to supplement are dried shrimp, live crickets, dubia roaches, sometimes super and/or meal worms, and minnows, though not very often. And the only reason they don't get minnows much is because I don't fish much anymore, so it requires a specific trip to the bait shop to get any.

3. Jay1718

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I didn't know red and green leaf lettuce was low in nutrients, I thought it was just the iceberg lettuce that was low in nutritional value. I learn something new everyday. Have a good day

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

It is a little better than iceberg, but not by much. Pretty much if it says lettuce anywhere, it tends to be low nutrition for our pets, and ourselves too.

5. Jay1718

whats your take on using cuttlebones, mine loves them lol but he will eat anything and is just plain destructive

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Never tried it, nor had reason to. A good diet seems to be enough.

7. Jay1718

Good to know

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Although turtle keepers often provide cuttlebone for extra calcium.

9. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

I give mine cuttlebone to keep him occupied so he doesn't pull on the aquarium silicone that seals his tank and destroy it. It's kind of like a rawhide for dogs to him.

Jay1718 likes this.
  10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Never had one do that. Of course I use large plastic stock tanks now, so they don't have that as an option.

11. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

Mine does, and it's really annoying. He has a piece of cuttlebone and a piece of romaine lettuce just to keep him occupied. He gets turtle pellets, dried shrimp, collards, etc. as his main diet.