This Disappears When Logged In

Red Ear Slider

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by danomite7, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Liz is right, you need less water and more land. You really could use a larger tank with a larger foot print. Remember that length is more important than height with these guys.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, you can go with "breeder" tanks, they tend to be longer, shorter tanks. Better for turtles.

3. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

I am going to get a new tank and will make a spot of land with sand on it. I just took him out of the tank and noticed that by his legs there were little pink spots on his skin. Also he doesnt come out of his shell when i take him out he goes in as far as he can and stays like that until I take him and put him in the tank.

4. fire2225ems

How about just soil instead of sand. There is no reason to put a RES on sand, and it would pose an impaction risk.

5. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

ok but can you just use garden soil or do you have to use pet store soil.

6. fire2225ems

ummm, if you mean go out to the yard and get soil, you can, but you risk there being pesticides or other chemicals in it. Your best bet would be to get an organic potting soil that doesn't have any fertilizer or other additives. Most of the time if you mix this with Eco Earth or another form of the shredded coco husk, it seems to keep a good consistency.

7. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Ok but would make the tank a mess or would the dirt track into the water?

8. fire2225ems

Not any more than sand would. Actually sand would be worse... You don't have to have a substrate, as long as there is a flat area where the turtle can get out of the water.

9. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Here is something to look into. Products They have various sizes. Med water would be the best. You could always go with a horse tank, not eye appealing but lot of water and land.

10. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

What are the horse tanks?

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Stock tank. They come in 50, 100, 150 and 300 gallons and are far cheaper than any regular glass tank. They also have a drain on the bottom for ez cleaning. Check out www.tractorsupply.com

12. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Is there a landing area there for him to go up on or do you have to put one in yourself?

13. schlegelbagel

You would have to put one in, but one could easily be made.

14. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Is there any other types of tanks like that that you know of?

15. schlegelbagel

Other than getting your hands on an old bathtub.. .no.

16. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

hmm thats a good idea i might try to look into that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.