This Disappears When Logged In

Red Ear Slider

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by danomite7, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Hi, I have a red ear slider that does not move much and it is only 3 years old. It is in a 30 gallon tank with a few fish and 1 piece of lettuce. The temp is 70 degrees. If you know anything to make it healthier please let me know.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

What is his/her regular diet? Lettuce is worthless as food for animals as it is for people - there isn't anything in it but water. Does he have a warmer basking spot? white 70 is sufficient water temp, it should have a basking spot that is at least 85 degrees or warmer.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

4. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Yes I have all of those but the basking spot is not that big.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Long as the basking spot is big enough for his/her whole body to get out of the water and warm up, it should be fine. how big is your RES? and what are you feeding it?

6. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

How old, what brand, and strength is your UVB?

7. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

My res is about 4-5 inches and i feed it cucumber, shrimp pellets, lettuce, live fish and blood worms. The brand of the light is reptli glow, and it is about 1.5 years old. When he sitts on the basking spot it kindof sinks.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That light is old - it needs replacing. UV lights need replaced about every 6 months or so - it varies.

Don't be afraid to put a little more variety in your turtles diet. Most commercially available turtle pellets are moderately acceptable as a staple, so long as you supplement them. Turtles can eat almost everything you can, probably more. You can scrap the lettuce, and see if he will take some leafy dark greens instead, as they have more vitamins in them.

9. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

ok and can a female turtle lay eggs by itself because when i was reading a care sheet it said to have an area witch the turtle can lay eggs because if they keep the eggs in them it can cause health problems

10. fire2225ems

Sounds like a big part of your turtles fatigue might be from lack of UVB. Most brands don't produce UVB for more than 6 months even though they will still produce light. The exception to this rule would be the MegaRay, which only needs to be replaced once a year. Welcome To ReptileUV - Mega-Ray® UVB lamps for reptile lighting worldwide

You need to try to replace that bulb asap.

It also sounds like your diet needs to change. Check out the caresheet Liz linked for ya and it should point you in the rigth direction.

If you post a pic of your setup we can help you make sure that is right as well. :)

11. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

ok but i am not sure how to post pics

12. fire2225ems

u can either upload them to our gallery and then post the IMG code, or upload them to photobucket and post the IMG code from there

13. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

[​IMG]

can some one tell me how to improve this setup

14. schlegelbagel

I would lower the water level a bit, and make sure the turtle can get fully out of the water under the uvb light.

You are going to need a bigger tank very soon, if not already. Turtles need 10 gallons per inch of shell. What sort of filtration do you have in there?

15. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

I am working on the water level just trying to get a better filter but the turtle is not very big he just will not grow

16. schlegelbagel

The growing problem is because of the lack of UVB. He can't metabolize food/calcium properly without it.

17. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

doesnt the heat lamp do some of that too?

18. schlegelbagel

No. The bulb HAS to specifically say "UVB" on it. Not UVA, full spectrum, or daylight. UVB bulbs are the expensive ones. About $40 each. Get the Megaray that Shell posted the link to. Its the same price as the really expensive ones AND it lasts a year instead of 6 months.

Your old bulb is a year and a half old and is no longer producing UVB. Without UVB your turtle will get very sick and die a very painful death.

19. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

uh oh i will buy that uvb bulb

20. schlegelbagel

I posted a link in your other thread, to good lights as well that you can probably get local. Canada is a big country though, you could be anywhere. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.