This Disappears When Logged In

Recommendations Anyone?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by alpine, Oct 15, 2012.

1. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Okay great, I will work on getting comfortable with the idea of handling it. :) Great thing to know by the way. I have a 15 gallon tub floating around in here that I should be able to convert to work for the tarantula. It already has air holes etc in it so if that size is good then I think it would be perfect for him/her. Eco Earth and coco bark are easy to get around here so I will work on that too. I'm going to take my time gathering things. I am definitely interested in getting one though. How often should I feed them? Any particular type of bugs etc? I have heard you can feed them the occasional pinky too? (not sure whether or not that is true, just read it at like 5 different sites).

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Ugh no no pinkies not to rose hairs! Almost bugs are fine, praying mantis, crickets, meal worms, super worms occasionally, no wax worms. And dubai roaches are the best you could feed to a T. If you gut load your food the spider will live a long happy life. No need for pinkie mice and its not really good for them.Also depending on the size of the tarantula. Under 2 inches feed everyday when they reach adulthood you can feed every other day but you dont HAVE too. When I breed my spiders for about a year I would Feed them in different intervals. Since thy won't find food everyday or the same amount id feed like two crickets one day, then one the next. Then no crickets for 3 days then one cricket a day for 2 days skip a day 3 smaller crickets. Just no particular pattern. And right before I breed them if just put a bunch of feeders in for them. And if you have to go or a few weeks just dump some crickets in and your good for 3-4 weeks. As long as a spider has water they'll be fine. I've had spiders who went with out food for 4 months before a molt.

3. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Wow great to hear. I think my local pet store might have some dubias, that is likely going to be the store where I get him. Anything else I should know about them in the mean time?

4. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Nope, we'll not that I can think of right now.

5. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Okay cool. I went to the pet shop, they have three rose hairs and they also have dubia roaches most of the time as well as all kinds of crickets and worms etc. Are there any particular worms that I can feed them? They had red worms, and silk worms as well as occasionally carrying horn worms. Anything to be avoided? Or should I just not feed any of them? (those are in addition to the worms that you told me from above. Can I vary the diet like that?

6. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Well you and I will get along GREAT!!! LOL I just bought my first T. for this VERY SAME REASON! I asked PLENTY of questions and met with several breeders and went to the ReptiCon show in my area to hold one first. I did. And the next day went back and bought my girl. They recommended to me a Chaco Golden Knee. After LOTS of research that confirmed their recommendation that is what I got. A couple people on here also recommend Rose hairs. I held the Golden Knee a few times at the show to make sure we got along. And she is now happily in her cage getting used to it. Its not recommended to hold them for a few weeks to months after you get them home. I wouldn't have a clue how to get her out of the cage anyway. I am petrified lol. But I am getting better. I put my hand in the cage EVERYDAY to change the water and to offer her food. I haven't touched her since the show but its only been a week. NO ONE would have ever expected me to get a T. I have tons of reptiles, and even 2 snakes that I bought for the same reason as the T. and I hold the snakes all the time. I was just as scared of them. It has helped me gain such a healthy respect for the snakes that I wouldn't COMPLETELY freak out if I encountered one in the wild. 3 months ago I would have flipped a lid at seeing a snake outside.

I hope this T, her name is Athena, will help me gain that same healthy respect for spiders. I have gotten a lot better over the years and I don't kill every spider I see now. I just walk around them and give a very wide berth. Now I have held 2 HUGE spiders in the last week and I feel so much better. Now I am not worried that I am going to see a spider crawling up the wall and I am gonna jump 10 feet screaming at my husband to kill it. lol
    I am here if you have any questions or need any help! you can add me as a friend on here too! I am sure we will have PLENTY of stories about our T's to share!

Good luck!

7. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

The Under the tank heater GOES ON THE SIDE for spiders not Underneath! And only use if your house gets below 70

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Hornworms are great and healthy but grow extremely fast. In the week that I have had them the largest was 1/2in when I but them and their were a few eggs now a week later they are all 3.5-4in and should transform to cocoons soon. So unless you have other reptiles that will eat them don't order them. And if you do have other reptiles start with only one cup to see if you will go through them all before they get too big.

9. alpine

alpine Elite Member

My house never gets bellow 70 so I don't think a UTH is really needed. If for whatever reason the temps get a little screwy I have one just in case. I am planning on getting a rose hair, I am looking at some of the pet stores in my area to see what they have. My regular shop carries them as well as carrying roaches and other worms etc. I am hoping to have one near the end of this week. Everyone has been really helpful here too. You guys cleared up a lot of confusion here so I am definitely on the right track. You and I are in the Same boat Nikki. I have ball pythons as a matter of fact, but I personally have them because I love snakes. I just feel like I shouldn't limit myself just because I have a fear of spiders. I want to work towards handling and enjoying them. I plan on having it for the time being only as a "look but don't touch" kind of pet. In the next few months I want to work towards handling but I want to take my time just as much for myself as for the T. We will see how everything goes though.

10. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Good to know. I also have a leopard gecko who might like the horn worms but we will see.