This Disappears When Logged In

Reasons for Keeping Venomous Snakes

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by Microscope Jockey, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

In your opinion do you think anybody keeps venomous snakes simply because they appreciate them as animals? Why do you think people keep venomous snakes or why do you personally keep them?

My opinion is "no" because even if one keeps them because they are beautiful and interesting part of the reason they are interesting is because being venomous is pretty unique. I however don't think this is a bad reason to keep them if one is capable of ensuring the safety of those other than themselves. I also see nothing wrong with keeping venomous species for educational or conservation purposes so long as one is a responsible individual. Unfortunately "responsible" individual is directly proportional to age and experience but hopefully education efforts can increase the number of "responsible" individuals out there :)

DISCLAIMER: This thread is not intended to judge or put down anybody who happens to keep venomous snakes, it is intended to promote healthy discussion and thus education regarding the keeping of venomous snakes.

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Well I don't own any hots...yet. I dunno, why does anyone keep any reptiles? I really don't know the reason I have pets, I'm just drawn to them. The only hot I'm really interested in keeping someday is a gaboon viper, and its just because I really admire tha snake. The fact that they're venomous just adds a little bit more to the "cool factor", but I'd want one either way.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are many keepers of "Hot" snakes that ARE attracted to them due to the uniqueness of them being what they are. And they can be fascinationg animals. (Nothing quite like being face to face with a big rattler buzzing away!) These keepers are responsible and use the proper protocols to deal with them properly. Just as a point most of the hot keepers I know of would not even THINK of free handling a venomous snake. Even so occassionally one of them does get bitten. There is an addage among hot keepers. Its not a matter of "if" you will be bitten its "when"!

On the other side of the coin are the people that think that keeping a venomous snake (or large constrictor, or croc etc.) makes them cool or macho! These are the people that give the rest of us a bad name and will soon be on the News!

I personally would never keep hots because I like to be able to handle my animals.

4. Inphormatika

Inphormatika Elite Member

Hots attract me because they are what they are. Beautiful, lethal predators thatare perfectly suited for the environment where God put them. No, I may never be able to handle it, but I'll also have plenty of other snakes to play with. ;) :D

5. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

To me, everything is more enhanced. The colors, the thrill (We all get excited when we see our animals), the housing, the tools, feeding, the features, everything. Personally, I'm a big fan of Crotalus and really, you can not replicate these animals with anything else. Plus when I got into them no one else I was aware of was keeping these guys. So it was new for me and a task. Everything involving these guys are more advanced and you have to keep your wits with you, if you don't you'll get a remembrance.
    As for any one reason to why I keep them, I dunno, I'd guess it be the same reasons anyone else has what they have.
    Zane

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I'm with Matt. I would love to own a gaboon, simply for its sheer beauty. I would never own a venomous snake unless I had proper training, and it would be in the required enclosure and room (over here we have to pay a licence to own 'dangerous wild animals', and there are requirements for housing, such as the snake needs to be in a room that is escape proof..)

Some people may own venomous because of the status symbol, however many of these probably make the snakes venomoid.. and I think they are in the minority.

7. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

I also think Gaboon vipers one of the most gorgeous things alive but let's think about why they look the way they do. Thier beautiful patterns are most likely due to the fact that they are fat lazy ambush predators and the patterns that we find so visually appealing make great camoflauge. Now the reason they are sucessful, fat, lazy, beautiful, well-camoflaged, ambush predators is because they have a lightning fast strike and venom to subdue thier prey. Without the venom, evolutionarily speaking, they would probably have to be a constrictor of some sort to be sucessful. Therefore gaboon vipers are beautiful because they are venomous ;)

Additonally Rachel, at least in this country, many of the people who own hots for the horrid reason of status keep them perfectly intact and frequently end up on the news due to the associated problems with this :eek: Venomoids are pretty rare since most vets will not perform the surgery and backyard hack jobs end in death of the animal a great deal of the time according to my reading.

8. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

To me it is the beauty of these animals. I have 1 hot snake and don't plan on getting anymore at least for awhile and probably never. I am an addictive type of person that likes a variety in my collection. I also as some of you all know keep some potentially dangerous scorpions. Again it is not the toxicity of their venom that makes me like them but it is their beauty. I don't handle them at all. They are "eye candy" for looking at.
    I can play with my corn snake since it seems to like for me to get it out and let it crawl around.

9. laz

laz New Member

I think venomous snakes have more aggresive features ie. cobra, rattler etc. Also coloring could be more vivid..

:)

10. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Hots are beautiful, interesting amazing animals to learn about and observe. They are really fascinating - and can be very educational.

But I strongly believe that only experienced people should keep them. They are not pets to keep in a tank and brag about to your friends. You run the risk of a deadly bite every time you handle them - which means routine maintenance like cage cleaning, feeding and watering becomes much harder. Inexperienced keepers generally end up either neglecting these things or being. Additionally, if a hot escapes, there can much greater consequences than if, say, your ball python escapes.

Personally, I'd love to have the time, room and experience to keep them myself. But realistically, I know it's a bad idea. I do wish I had an experienced friend with them nearby though. ;)

For me, if a person wants to get a hot because he/she appreciates its beauty or wants to learn about it, and they have enough experience, I'm all for it. But if the person wants one just to impress his/her buddies or buys one on a whim, I'm against it.

Edit- I didn't realize this thread was that old until I took a second look at it! Sorry!

11. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

My daughter would own an eyelash viper if she thought she could take care of it as it should be. So I understand some peoples desire to own them. I personally wouldn't own a hot snake as I don't feel they are something that needs to be owned by "just anyone". I feel anyone who has one should be trained in handling and husbandry for that particular snake. Just my opinion

12. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

The fascination with venomous reptiles for me is the stature they carry in the natural order. I find it crazy yet intriguing that an animal that is so small in relation to most of its surroundings is treated with such respect by its fellow critters. When you see a horse run from a rattle snake or a cow intentionally keep its distance from a copperhead there is a whole new level of intimidation and fear that people often take for granted.

In my experience, primarily in field research, there is no other animal that is so uniquely suited to their niche. So in keeping a venomous snake or any other "hazardous" reptile you are able to observe the beauty and perfection that is an apex predator. I don't keep any long term but I have had several brought to me and that i have gone to capture for venom tests, that I have had for a short time, and just the fearlessness and confidence that these snakes posses is amazing to observe. I have corn snakes and have had several constrictors and other reptiles, but nothing is as naturally striking (no pun intended) as a venomous snake.

13. Merlin

LOL! Yes this thread is over 3 years old!

14. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

*Sheepish grin* I don't usually look at the dates before posting. I guess I just assume they're current. Whoops.

15. Merlin

We normally have a threadlock that puts them away after a certain amount of time. Since Rich is working on the site some things have been disabled for the time being.

16. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

This one seems harmless to respond to since it's a matter of preference rather than a matter where time is of the essence (ex: My iguana ate my wallet).

17. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Your iguana ate your wallet in 2003!? Get him to a vet now!!! :D :D

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Matter of opinion is right, although I do think we have a similar, newer thread around here somewhere, too. But I'm too lazy to search for it right now. ;)

18. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Humm... My 2 Cents... I have to agree with most of the people here about venomous snakes, they are an awesome part of nature, but you screw up, you could be dead... Id love to own a boomslang. I find them the #1 most amazing snake, why Im not sure, I find them stunning... But back to reality, Im not the smartest person around... My heart and brain says, wow, this is an awesome creature, I would love to have and respect, but then that little dude on my shoulder slaps me in the face, and asks if Im stupid... If I ever owned a hot snake, I would have to have all of my base's covered... from hooks to anti venom, to personal at the hospital trained in boomslang bites... and I also dont believe in having personal pets that cant be handeled by hand... So reality is, I wont ever meet my own strict criteria, so, Ill never have one... Its a battle of my personal reality, and want...
    (eh and who cares if the thread is old, Its open now, enjoy it!)

19. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I find cobras amazingly beautiful because of their hoods and movements; green mambas gorgeous because of their color patterns and beautiful eyes, and rattlers cool because of their rattles. If any of those were NOT venemous, I'd own them.
    So no; for me the venemous factor is not at all what attracts me... quite the contrary! :)

20. okreptilerescue

okreptilerescue Elite Member

since we seem to have revived this thread- i'll jump in too....

I am interested in keeping hots.
    A friend of mine does a lot of the education for our local animal control. he takes the cotton mouths, copperheads, rattlers, etc... out and shows them how to handle them.

He is one that freehandles a few- and hooks the rest.

I hook a lot of the snakes here- just to remove them from the cage, but i am not as comfortable with them on a hook as i am with them in my hands.
    If they're going to get you- they are GOING to get you- no matter if they're in your hand or 2 foot away on a hook.

I have had a few lessons from my friend in handling, caging, etc....

I know i am nowhere near ready to have one of my own- and therefor- I DONT HAVE ONE!!

As for venomoids- there is nothing more wrong in this world. If you cannot handle a true venomous animal- you should not have one. Why alter an animals anatomy, defense, way of eating, living and surviving- all so you can handle it.....
    Not trying to stir the pot- just stating my opinion- which I, as well as everyone else, am entitled to....

When I am ready for a hot-- and when i am moved out of city limits- I will start collecting.

There are only a few select snakes i'm interested in- copperheads are the all time beauties, as well as timber rattlers, and eyelash vipers. The eyelash will most likely be the first.... when the time comes....

Beth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.