This Disappears When Logged In

Re-doing My Enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by chopper22980, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chopper22980

chopper22980 Elite Member

For the people who have seen my enclosure, I'm re-doing it. If you look at the picture of the enclosure. You will see a long wall behind it. On the other side of that wall is my bedroom closet with double doors. It's a huge closet that I don't even use. So I've started to gut it out to build my iguana enclosure in it. If you look at the wall that the enclosure is against now. Thats where I'm going to picture frame the glass into the wall. So that way it will be flat against that wall. It will be just like looking at a picture on the wall. I will use the closet doors to get in and out of the enclosure. It's a lot bigger than what they are in now. I just don't want that monster enclosure in my living room anymore. I've since re-done my living room floor with wood flooring from carpet. It took 6 of us to move that beast. So this will give the iguanas more room and will add something nice to my living room. I will post pictures when I get it going somewhere.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Very good idea. I did that in my rec room. Something to consider is the differences in temperature between the rooms. If it's relatively close you'll have no issues. But if it's quite a difference you'll get condensation on the glass.
    A way around this is to put an air space between the panes of glass to permit air flow.

3. chopper22980

I think I've pretty much know what I'm going to do far as air flow. Today I hope to get the separation wall put up. I had to redo the doors last night to make up for how the doors will close with the separation wall. I had to reframe some of the door frame to make it work, but got it done. I also have to take out the light fixture that's in it so I can build the separation wall. As luck goes for me, the light was right in the way. With no way around it. I think all in all they will be more happier with this set up. Far as the temps go, I do believe I will be safe with keeping their temps just as they are now. I will keep a close eye on it though to make sure it's keeping a steady temp.

4. kriminaal

Well start with the pics man.lol
    I'm hoping to redo mine this summer. As I didn't partition for air flow. I need to redo my basement so I'll have to redo the window anyhow.

5. chopper22980

Lol I hear ya. I've hit a bit of bad luck. When I tore down the old enclosure a nail must have come through the base. So when we moved it out then back in. That nail dug into my floor. Well what more do I need to say, lol. It tore my nice new floor up. So now I'm back down there redoing that section of floor. So far I've had to take up a lot of it to repair it. That monster enclosure shifted my flooring. Now some of it is out of whack. I have the iguanas in my bathroom with a tarp to separate the 2. It's ugly but has to do for a few days. They are safe far as temps and humidity go. Had to make them a basking shelf though. Here I thought having kids was bad, lol. Wouldn't have it any other way.

6. lizardgal06

lizardgal06 Elite Member

Wow I wish I could do that stuff, it would make things much easier. Unfortunately I'm a renter, :( that makes it hard. Lucky for me the owner doesn't mind reptiles.

7. kriminaal

Definitely consider yourself lucky you have a landlord like that. Until I got my own house it was a headache.

8. chopper22980

Here are some pics of the two. I'm not completely done yet with the outside of it. I just have to finish the trim on the outside.

Attached Files:

9. kriminaal

Oh yeah. That's looking sweet.

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I like how they are built in.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

DEFINITELY cool!

12. venus

venus Founding Member

Wow, Im jealous :)

13. chopper22980

I will take some better pictures of it. I had a accident at work that almost cut my leg in half on the 16th of July. So i'm looking at up to or even more then a year for my leg to get better. So bare with me far as getting the pictures on here. I still need to add more climbing things in them and I need to go to bigger uvb bulbs. Due to this accident it will take me some time to get it done. I'm in a wheelchair and cant have my leg down,so its kinda hard to finish it. The way I had wanted to.I'm glad you all like it, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.