This Disappears When Logged In

Re-Did Encloures

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by schmidt1894, Nov 23, 2012.

1. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

So..... I wanted to change out the lizards enclosures... well.... here they are!!

Big Momma's Enclosure

Before:
    ASdDal.jpg

After:
    NP36Yl.jpg

Sassy Sarge's Enclosure

Before:
    cuVQDl.jpg

After:
    rScKSl.jpg
    The after picture was taken as I finished it... The humidifer tube from the before isn't on the after picture since I was cleaning up... But let me know what ya'll think!

Attached Files:

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Big momma looks awfully close to the lights...and with the second "cave" being so narrow is their a reason for having the double stacker? Or does the picture make it look narrow?
    Other than that it looks very nice. Big momma seems to like it...diet see sarge but I am sure he likes his.

3. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

she is close to the lights.... so i can get the surface temp on the rock higher.

And which cave..??

??? lol.

4. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

For sassy sarge's enclosure, I'm thinking.... About cutting off the vines from the plant, re potting the whole plant into a smaller pot and putting it back in. Not sure. Or... I might just put the vines on the back wall, that's it, no where else...

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Didn't see sarge. And it looks like the cave was meant to be a two story...you have bricks, tile, smaller bricks, tile, and big momma on top but I now see you just built it that way to get it closer to the bulbs.
    Does she burn herself on the lights?

6. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Haha ohh yeahh.. Plus, people been saying that she needs a flat basking spot, so heck, I gave her one lol. So now he can be more lazier than ever haha:)

And no she doesn't.

7. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Worked on the Cham's tank this morning...

vACIPl.jpg

Added the live pothos plant and whatnot.

Attached Files:

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh ok. Well then they are both very nice!

9. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Thank you! First person to say that. Other people on other forums are mad at me because I "downgraded" their enclosures... They don't like the fact that I change from soil to tile... And all live plant cluster/clutter to less clutter with fake leaves and minimal live plants

10. Majora

Majora Elite Member

I don't know much about chams, but I do like Big Momma's enclosure better now - it looks really nice. I like the look of soil and I do think it has some great benefits for beardeds, but I personally feel safer with tile. I have not owned reptiles long and although I like to think I know a lot about their care now, I don't yet feel experienced enough to use a substrate with more inherent risks. I know the risks are minimal when husbandry is spot-on, but that's my concern. Whether I like to admit it or not I am still learning and making adjustments every day, and I just want to make sure my dragon stays healthy. I don't think there is anything wrong with using tiles.

I like the look of Sassy Sarge's enclosure now, too, though like I said I can't say much on the functionality of it as I don't know a lot about chams. I do agree that maybe a little more plant cover is beneficial, just to make her feel safe, but it looks like you dealt with that.

11. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Exactly.... About the bearded dragons tank... Well said! Haha.

And yeah, for sassy sarge, I added more...:) want to be sure she's good!

12. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I would keep the live plant with your cham. Looks good the way you have it :)

13. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

I personally thought it was too much....? So I took it out, and split it... :) now the enclosure is better:)

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you post a photo after you redid the plants. Chams are shy and a dense thicket of leaves would be to their liking.
    If its too open it will stress them.

15. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

upon your request:)

lXfrxl.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I don't think its too sparse. It looks fine.

17. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Yeah, hence the pothos plant can grow now:) I split the old plant into 3s... So, while I wait, I will have 3 pothos plants in no time!:) Since it's winter... it can grow all winter long, then when it comes spring time to free roam, they should be set!:)

Now, i do have some room to spare on the bottom to get a bucket with sand for her to lay her eggs..