This Disappears When Logged In

Rayne - Egg Bound

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Rich, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Rayne is my snow cornsnake. She is currently 11 years old and will be turning 12 later this year. Two weeks ago Rayne laid 6 eggs. All of which were slugs. I can feel additional eggs and the 2 week window of allowing her to try and pass them herself had passed and phase one of trying to get them to pass failed. We then proceeded to try and aspirate the egg at the base of her cloaca to no avail. I believe the egg has already begun calcifying as very little fluid was extracted. She is being brought in today and will be having the eggs surgically removed over the next day or 2. Rayne was my first snake that my wife 'allowed" me to buy and is the reason my wife no longer has a phobia of snakes. This was her first (and likely her last) breeding. She remains perky and alert so I am optimistic that she will be fine, but I am still worried nonetheless. I have requested that the surgery be video taped for documentation and educational purposes though we aren't certain if it will be allowed. At the very least I am hoping Steve (my vet and the surgeon) will allow my wife to take pictures so that I can add them to the Dystocia page. Rayne is currently resting on her heat source in a sterile container before she heads to the Animal Hospital this afternoon. :(

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Fingers crossed and prayers for Rayne's successful surgery and speedy recovery! :)
    Good luck Rich!!
    I hope they allow videos and or photos.

I wish I had been able to help my Rainbow Boa, Talyn, in that situation before it was too late!

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Rich, I hope all goes well for her.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I hope the surgery goes well with Rayne, keep us posted! Hopefully they will allow you to video tape the surgery, it would definitely be an bonus to have.

Good luck, saying a prayer for Rayne!

5. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

6. jtlewis

jtlewis Well-Known Member

Good luck! I hope all goes well.

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Good luck, Rich.

8. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Good luck, Rich!

9. Rich

She is at the hospital now. I am waiting to hear from Angie on when they do the surgery and how it turns out. Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

10. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Hope she does well and has a speedy recovery! :)

11. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Sending positive thoughts and prayers that all goes well during the procedure, and that Rayne has a comfortable and speedy recovery time once she is safely back home.

12. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Hope everything goes well.

13. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Sending you and Rayne positive wishes and prayers for a complete recovery.

14. OrchidPal

OrchidPal Elite Member

Sending good thoughts for Rayne

15. Rich

They chose to not operate today. My vet, who will be doing the procedure because he is the only person I trust, wasn't in today. They did some pain management, offered some SQ fluids and gave her a calcium shot to help replace the calcium used to create the eggs. She does indeed have eggs and my vet will decide how he wants to handle it tomorrow morning when he comes in. I have very little doubt she will have them removed.

16. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Poor girl! Thanks for the update, and let us know what happens tomorrow.

17. Rich

With a heavy heart I post that Rayne didn't make it through the night. :( She passed sometimes overnight after 2am which was the last time I saw her, as I returned her to her enclosure for the night. (That's what time Angie returned from work.) This really blows. I will miss her.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm so sorry to hear this Rich. I was hoping for good news.

19. Rich

Part of me saying goodbye required that I see what caused her death so my wife and I performed a crude necropsy on her. (Angie is a Vet Tech for those who don't know.) She had 3 fused slugs at the base of the cloaca that had calcified and were solid masses. They were followed by 3 more calcified slugs that weren't fused. Then she had a single egg that appeared viable and pliable and then 3 more fused eggs that also appreaed viable. It is my belief that the stress associated with the aspiration attempt, travel, shot of calcium and the metacam she was given was too much for her. (The metacam I believe was an overdose. The on call doctor based the dosage off of her weight but failed to compensate for the weight of the eggs from what I gather so far.) Angie is going to pull up the records when she gets to work today to see if he adjusted the dose for the eggs.

20. jtlewis

jtlewis Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.