This Disappears When Logged In

Raw deal over the pond...

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Bitis Gabonica, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Hello! :)

Just wanted you all to read this link - the RSPCA are trying to create a ban on reptiles as pets over here in the UK. We signed the petition of course, and i hope it doesnt come to fruition cause no-ones getting through my door to my herps! :mad:
    I'll let you read it for yourselves but all i can say is i'm not happy!! :(

http://www.petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=994

2. venus

venus Founding Member

:eek: That is totally not cool. I hope everything works out for the best.

3. redgirl77

redgirl77 Elite Member

(sigh) When are these people going to realize that total bannings are not going to do any good??? They need to target bad breeders and sellers and work on education instead of banning!!! Geez, ya know what? Dogs and cats get horrid treatment from owners that impulse buy them, neglect them, abuse them, use them in fighting rings... but they don't ban cats and dogs... why??? Because it's NOT going to solve a darn thing!!!!! :mad:

I do hope that everything works out for you!!!

4. Todd

Todd Elite Member

Im really glad that you posted that, Rachel, and shared it with everyone. It further makes the point of how herpers need to be aware of these issues. It would also be great if we made a category for herp awareness that specifically gives the necessary space for voicing these important concerns.

5. Bitis Gabonica

Hey guys

Yeah all of you have valid points. Unfortunately reptiles are still misunderstood animals and people dont like what they dont understand :(
    However movements like that really offend me, and i'm sure other herp owners, because i take extremely good care of my animals - i treat them like my kids and if i ever have spare money it goes on them! I'd never cause any pain or suffering to any animal and these people dont seem to realise that. I'm not saying that animal groups like the RSPCA dont do a good job - of course they do a fantastic job, but as you said Red, what is the banning of owning certain animals going to do to help the animals that are being mistreated?

I have always thought that they should bring in licences. We used to have dog licences and we have to have a DWA licence to own venemous snakes for example. Why not bring in an animal licence? Perhaps then the people abusing would think twice about getting an animal just to mistreat it. I for one, as a caring animal owner, wouldnt mind at all having to obtain a licence. It would give me some peace of mind to know that a few less animals were having a hard life because of irresponsible owners.

Well, off my soap box now...
    :)

Todd - thats a great idea, i'll put it forward to admin.Thanks for the suggestion. :)

6. Kikai

Kikai Elite Member

Bitis, I tried to sign the petition, but they are obviously looking for people that live in the UK (oops!!) so I'll let that part go for now. In the States, people are required to have a license for their dogs. Pet licensing seems to be alot better than banning them completely. Thank you for posting that, and please keep us updated as to the outcome.

7. redgirl77

redgirl77 Elite Member

I'm all for liscencing as well (as long as the requirements are not overkill)... I did sign it, it says that a postal address isn't required, so I didn't put mine in... just my name and email address...

Not only would bannings not help the mistreatment of animals, but it would increase the black market tremendously which would affect wild numbers since people would not go to breeders and stores. I'm certainly not knocking any SPCA either, but they are making a decision based on solely negative information... they don't know enough about snakes to really make a call that is right for the animals and the public. That's what burns me about groups like PETA and HSUS... they are always passing info (sometimes even INCORRECT info) to government agencies and then before anyone knows it or has a chance to speak out, there is a sudden ban on everything! HSUS has it's good points too and I understand the "dark side" of herping, but we need to focus on that dark side, not everyone else....

8. Kikai

Kikai Elite Member

Thanks, Red, for pointing that out! I signed the petition.

9. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

i signed it too,,,,and it is a raw deal !!!!

10. Todd

Todd Elite Member

IT's ABOUT TIME SOMEONE NOTICED! LOL, Just kidding. Look what I said about coining a "herp awreness" category under category suggestions, Rachel. Licenses are an excellent idea, as well.

11. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I signed it also, we should get all the members in on this one. As usual the governments choose to punish the law abiding folks because it's easier.

12. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks guys! Your input is much appreciated! I wasn't sure whether people here could sign it but since it seems that you can come on everyone sign the petition! Thank you all so much :)

13. redgirl77

redgirl77 Elite Member

Well, IMO, this is a world wide issue, not a country issue, not a state issue, not a county or city issue... if England bans them, others will follow (as seen here with some local governments in the States, like in Detriot!). If we stand by and let it happen on the other side of the planet, it will happen here too... Everyone should have a voice in it!

14. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Oh no!

:mad: This is just not good at all! I have all of my friends signing this petition and all of my relatives. :( Hopefully this will make a diffrence I will try all that I can. Red you are right this will become a national isuue world wide once this is passed in one place it will be all over.................

15. WDBILL

WDBILL Well-Known Member

if it does pass, you hide your herps. my cousin hides his ball phython (Phythons and boas are illegal in NY)

16. Bitis Gabonica

Again, very much appreciated! You're right red, unfortunately, but i'm certain that this wont pass - the SPCA need to learn more about reptiles rather than just ban animals that they dont understand. It will make things much worse. Thanks again to everyone, please continue signing :)

17. Amber

Amber Elite Member

I signed it! I will try to get everyone else I know to sign it too! What would they do if reptiles are banned? If they take them away from the owners what would they do with them all?

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Unfortunately unless they are a rare or endangered species that zoos or other institutions are interested in they will most likely be destroyed.

19. Dragonden

Dragonden Elite Member

I signed the petition too. I don't mind the idea of people having to have liscences to keep certain animals ... but outright banning won't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.