This Disappears When Logged In

ratsnakes compared to corns

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by jacky, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Are ratsnakes as easy to handle as corns?
    I thought they are in the same family!?!
    Got to check them out on the websites. :)

2. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Rat snakes are just like corns, in fact corns are also known as the red rat snake, they are cared for in exactly same way as a corn, they just grow slightly bigger, can reach up to 8' in length.

3. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Really? Red rat snake is actually a synonym for corns? There's a red rat snake at our local museum, but I thought it looked a little different than my corns. I'll have to go back and look again. I'll be very embarrassed if I didn't recognize a corn snake as being a corn snake! :eek:

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A corn is a "red ratsnake". However not all ratsnakes are quite as docile as corns. Some of them can be a bit nippy. And there are ratsnakes that are not from North America and some of them can be downright aggressive.

With all the natural variations in cornsnakes there are quite a few different appearances. That is what has led to the ability to produce all the different morphs!

5. Joe

Joe Elite Member

They used to be (north american rat snakes that is) but corns got re-classified from Elphae guttata guttata(sp) to Pantherophis guttatus(sp), so they are not in the same family so to speak.

North american rat snakes can get bigger than corns and will be more 'fun' to handle :D They are not as docile as a corn but at the same time are not aggressive.

As Merlin has said already both the North American rat and the corn are completley different altogether to the Asian/European/African Rats, some of which can obtain lengths of 12ft+ and can be nasty, I believe the largest to be the Stinking Godess (please correct me if I'm wrong). The veriaty of the asian rat snakes, or more precisly, colubrids (not all of which are rat snakes) is huge!!

Hope this helps

6. VAsnakeman

VAsnakeman Member

Small grey fox,

I have heard "red rat snake" go for and everglades rat snake (Elaphe obsoleta rossalleni) as well. If the snake is orange/red, maybe with vauge stripes, it is an everglades rat.

7. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Thanks a lot guys!

8. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

In Kansas we have great plains rat snakes, Pantherophis emoryi. Very similar to corn snakes. Here is a pic of one I found wild last week. He wasnt in a very good mood and did bite me a couple of times. They calm down in captivity.

9. aasagan

aasagan Junior Member

I have a Russian rat snake. Can't find much info on him, but what I did find suggested it to be a docile species, and he really is friendly. Pretty good looking too. I'd love to read more about the Asian species.

10. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

I love theTexas ratsnake leucistic ; all white with blue eyes:Anyone got one?

11. Sentress

Sentress Elite Member

Hello, new here. I just bought a Great Plains Rat snake, and he's beautiful. I don't have any pics of him yet, giving him time to adjust to his surroundings but I've found some gorgeous pics of them on the
    net...

This link is some guys herp journal, but he's got some really good pics of a great plains rat snake...

http://www.herpjournal.com/2004/Kansas_2/05_18_04/pages/05_18_04.html

And this is another site that talks about Texas snakes, but it also has good pics.

http://www.austinreptileservice.net/blotches.html

Is it ok to post the links? I would have just posted a pic, but I didn't take those pics and didn't want to steal someone else's thunder so to speak lol.

They're beautiful snakes really. Course, I'm biased, considering I own one now.
    :p

12. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Haha welcome aboard! Ofcourse it's fine to post those links - but we would love to see pics of your new snake too! :)

13. Sentress

Sentress Elite Member

Soon as he adjusts to his new environment, and gets settled in, I plan to try to get some pics of him. He's gorgeous, and not quite full grown I don't think even though they said he was 5 years old...

Like I said, I did so much reading on him on the net, found out that Corn snakes and Rat snakes are both Colubrids and both come from the same genus (Elaphe) but are different species within the genus. I found out that they're very tolerant, and do calm down in captivity. I have learned alot of basic information (at least I hope I have lol... I'd hate to think that reading was for nothing) about how to care for them, what temperature to keep the tank on both ends (warm and cool) and how often to feed, what to feed, yada yada yada.

Oops, haven't even been here 10 minutes and I'm babbling already. Besides, y'all already know all this stuff I'm sure...

I just want to learn about their personality. What does it mean when he does this, what does it mean when he does that? I've never been one to enjoy learning the hard way, which is why I'm here lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.