This Disappears When Logged In

RatSnake Husbandry

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by CodeMA, Sep 19, 2011.

1. CodeMA

CodeMA Active Member

Hey yall,

I had an idea in my head for awhile and it has a certian level of viability, but the only real issue with it is substright.

I keep constictors and genrally avocate aspen or crate/dippled paper in plastic cages and such. Which is totally cool for ratsnakes as well and normally would just do it that way, but if I can get away with what I reallllly want, im going to. :)

The Plan:
    The Animal: Lucy TX Rat
    Cage: I have a tank setup at one point already with UTH thats sitting in the garage, so I I want to black everything out but the front from the outside, add a bleached white deer or gator skull or something cool for hide/decor, possibly a secondary hide or modofied to make it a bit more secure, but the basic idea is to have a blacked out cage with a white centerpiece and white animal.

This begs the question of what substright do I use? I was hoping black sand would be a viable option for this show piece.
    If not, second option would be construction paper.
    I am aware of sand intake during feeding, thats easily mitigated by feeding outside of inclosure or matting with paper. So other then that, what would make black sand a deal killer for one of these guys? Other options or suggestions?

2. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I wouldn't use sand, but I think they make colored aspen, so maybe there is black aspen.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The sand is a bad idea. Not only is it an impaction risk but it would also be quite dry and dusty. This can irritate the belly scales and possibly result in respiratory problems.

4. CodeMA

CodeMA Active Member

Gotcha, I figured that was the case on the impaction.

Will look into the aspen options and such and see what I can find.

5. CodeMA

CodeMA Active Member

Looks like Flukers makes black and red aspen, this could get intresting... I may have to try diffrent color schemes :)

Next question... Anyone have a recommended breeder for Lucys?

Non bug eyed, black or blue eyed preferibly...

6. Merlin

I generally have issue with the dyed materials. Since there is really no oversight of the ingredients in the dyes, who knows what they are putting in there!
    And oftentimes the dyed materials will leach dye off onto the animals.

7. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I don't think it's a problem unles it gets wet, which means if the snake crawls though the water dish then it could get some of the dye on it.

8. Merlin

Or it eliminates!

9. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Or if the snake were to knock over its water dish, like a certain python I know... grr.

What about soil? I don't remember too much on Ratsnakes, but I think their natural habitat has lots of soil, and you can get dark dirt for sure.

10. CodeMA

CodeMA Active Member

I was thinking aboub that too, ive been doing research on the fluckers and ordered a few bags.

Going to test it prior to actual use, tub it with warm water and dab/wipe test and see what I get. Abuse test it too to see if it bleeds from weight, humidity, etc.

It wont goto waste even if I dont use it for caging, it seems to be a nice photo backdrop at the very least.

Oh and yes, my ball p was horrible about water spills, had to get her a heavy ceramic puppy bowl to fix this. :)

Any ideas on breeders for the lucys?

11. CodeMA

CodeMA Active Member

Tested the black, no bleed in hot water, 2 hour or over night... Also took out of hot water and compressed between paper towels with no bleed.

Everything seems good to go, no abnormal discoloration in water after removing.

So far everthing looks good, got the animal today, shes gorgeous.

Tank is half setup decor wise, temporary functional stuff in place hide wise and outer panting of tank with shoe polish needs one more coat, but looks good, very contrasty setup so far :)

12. CodeMA

CodeMA Active Member

[​IMG]

Just because :)

Shes got a little rub, so hopefully that comes off with a shed or two, which she is now since in, so we shall see. Great girl, just a lil cage aggressive still from the moving around, out of cage she is pretty calm.

13. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Very cool! I like it! Beautiful animal.

14. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Very nice looking indeed......(looks like the contrast scheme for enclosure and snake is going to turn out great.)

15. CodeMA

CodeMA Active Member

She just shed too, so will have even better shots soon.