This Disappears When Logged In

ratsnake help needed!

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by bobbittle, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbittle

bobbittle Active Member

Hi all, I work at a petstore in central indiana and had a customer come in today with a small, approx 12" long, baby ratsnake that he had found in his house. He didn't want it and I suspected if he left with it that he would kill it, so I said I'd take it. I've had snakes in the past, the most recent being a rosey boa but I've never had a ratsnake.

My main issue here is feeding....obviously I'm going to try newborn pinkies for this guy, but what other options are there if he won't take the pinky? I have easy access to :

Pinkies/mice/etc
    mealworms
    waxworms
    redworms
    nightcrawlers
    circkets
    feeder fish (all sizes)

I can also get anoles but I don't think they are small enough for him. For now he'll be set up in a basic tank with newspaper for bedding, a large ceramic water dish, hiding cave/box, and a branch for climbing purposes. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Hello...as far as I know they only eat rats and mice. If you decide to keep it vs letting it go, it will need tank temps between 80-85 during the day and in the 70's at night for proper digestion.

3. bobbittle

bobbittle Active Member

I do plan on keeping it....I had been planning on getting another snake anyway so this was fairly convienent for me. The temps are no problem, I've got a heatpad to put on the tank to regulate temps.

4. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Think it's wild?

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

If he dosnt accept pinks after a few weeks try anoles...this isnt suggested but since hes so young you should feed him what he will eat :)

6. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Ratsnakes will eat pinkies and progress through the rodent chain of size as they grow. Nothing else that you have listed needs to be tried.

The site doesn't have a caresheet on ratsnakes yet, but you could easily follow the cornsnake caresheet we have and the ratsnake would do great. (They have similar care.)

The cornsnake caresheet can be found here: http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=6976

7. bobbittle

bobbittle Active Member

Joeking - unless it was released by someone near this guys house I'm sure it's wild....he wanted absolutely nothing to do with it and was glad to get rid of it.

Others - thanks, I'm going to give him a couple days to settle in and then bring home a nice small pinkie for him. Thanks.

8. bobbittle

bobbittle Active Member

Brought him/her home a small pinky today and it was greedily gobbled down....probably would have eaten 2 easily. Makes me feel better about keeping it. So now he has a happy home with someone who likes him. Thanks all for the help.

9. mshrmheadcharge

Congrats, Im glad he ate for ya!

10. bobbittle

bobbittle Active Member

Well the little guy (girl, guy, whatever...) is doing well. He ate 2 pinkies on the 12th and I brought home 2 frozen pinkies on the 17th and thawed them, and pretty much to my suprise he ate both them too....I was suprised to see a w/c snake eating f/t pinkies, good news for me I guess. =)

11. mshrmheadcharge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.