This Disappears When Logged In

Rat Turns Off Baby Boa?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by NatashaIsMySnake, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

I looked it up and there's absolutely nothing that I can see that even has the name "toxic rat syndrome" in it. So, it may be possible but definitely not "extremely".

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

If you can't go to F/T (which I don't do) there's nothing a "bump" to the head can't fix :) Plus believe it or not the smell of blood does help some snakes come around to eating faster and safe. Just a thought

3. CrazyCylax

CrazyCylax Well-Known Member

What I'm talking about is where you feed rats with to many fatty cells. Boas cannot dijest the fat cells as well leading to instenial problems. Usally leaving a breeding ground for parasites.
    And or where you feed a rat with mite spray or any pesticide. No there is not much info on it. But it fairly common. Shoudn of went to measures of saying extreamlly. Toxic rat is just what we use here locally and on my other forum.
    Pythons and colubrids are diffrent. As for grammar. That's not what I ment. But ok dude.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I have no idea of what you are referring to CrazyCylax...toxic rat syndrome. I googled it. If it is being used on another forum it is not popping up in the search which is weird because this thread was the second link on google.
    I have found the easiest way to feed if you want to go live is to stun the rat. Just a firm flick to the base of the skull usually does the trick.

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

One thing to keep in mind- this person force fed the snake. This is an EXTREMELY stressful situation...one in which the snake may see the prey item as a.very negative addition to his life. Especially since it has only been 4 or 5 days. Is this snake over a year old? If so, you really only need to feed it every 7 to 10 days. If it is not hungry then, you can give it another week and try again. If the snake is under a year old, every 5-7 days is sufficient. If it has been force fed- you should probably give it another week anyway so it can work up a hunger and HOPEFULLY forget the traumatic experience it received. I am not trying to make you feel bad- it is just that force feeding really should be reserved as a last resort. I am not trying to "pass judgment" on you, quite the contrary, I know how heart breaking it is trying to get your beloved pet to eat and worrying that it will waste away. Good luck and I hope things turn around for you.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Are you talking about fatty liver disease?
    How is what you are say relevant to what the OP has asked? :confused:

7. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

I took the statement "he bit it then let go and i kno it wasnt defence cuz she followed it even when ot walked away and she strijed a src" as saying she is feeding live. I've never seen a dead rat walk away. I'm glad you have never had a problem. I have a friend who rescued a ball that is blind from being attacked by it's live prey and when I rescued the boa I had, it had bite wounds from its prey. It is an owners decision but our animals are captive and not able to leave the area if they are not interested in what we put in a container with them.

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Zombie rat!

9. angelboa

angelboa Elite Member

I have a co2 chamber that I use and love it. It makes things so much easier!

10. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I apologize. I guessed wrong when trying to decipher the original post.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And what does that have to do with the question of whether you are feeding live or F/T? A fat rat is a fat rat, whether living or dead.
    Apparently it isn't that common! Again, that would have nothing to do with whether you fed live or F/T.
    If your feeders are contaminated, you need to find another supplier!

12. CrazyCylax

CrazyCylax Well-Known Member

Haha. That's funny. You size you never heard of it so I posted it. That's why. It all
    Started when I said THIS IS WHY I SWITCH TO FROZEN THAWED. (freezing kills bacteria was my point)
    in the very beginning. This site is hostile. The most hostile forum out there lmao.
    Sorry for trying to help. I'll back off. Oh. Here's the 'non excisting thread im talking about'
    Popped up 3rd in google btw
    http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/boas/73619-white-blotches-after-shed-suri-3.html#post941689
    Again. Wasn trying to stir it up. Sorry. Lmao

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hostile forum? Just because we asked you to explain a reply using a term no one had ever heard of? And questioned how it related to what we are talking about?.

14. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

It's ok. I truly had the advantage since I read writing like this daily.

15. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

Did u shake the feeder as if it was alive some snakes do not go after a still feeder. The one i have was raised on them and wont eat if its just laying there