This Disappears When Logged In

Rat Turns Off Baby Boa?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by NatashaIsMySnake, Dec 21, 2011.

1. NatashaIsMySnake

NatashaIsMySnake Active Member

ok i just jad my snake forcefed after a month of not eating and its been 4 days and i thought i should give it a crack at feeding my snake. i got her a
    rat fuzzie? or pup abourt skzr of sm or hopper mouse and sented it since this is her first time with a rat. its like she smelled mice but tasted **** cuz she bit it then let go and i kno it wasnt defence cuz she followed it even when ot walked away and she strijed a srccon time then stopped.
    should i just go back to mice untill later? or keep trying

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Please look at what you have posted! Its virtually illegible. we can't help you if we can't understand what you wrote!

3. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Was the rat f/t? If so, how did you warm it?

4. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

I'm not sure about size but I do know you need to stop feeding it live. You are taking a chance of your snake being bitten and injured.
    Frozen/thawed or fresh killed would be safer. Also, if your snake was force fed 4 days ago, it probably isn't hungry yet.

I agree with Marvin that you need to make your post more readable. I was only able to read it because I teach Kindergarten and they write without vowels, sounding out words and lack of capitals and end marks.

5. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I don't see where it says she's feeding live. Was there another post I missed? In my opinion, feeding live is completely owner optional, as long as all are advised of the risks that they are taking. I don't think it's necessarily right to say that she needs to feed f/t or fresh kill. I feed all of my snakes live. I've never had a problem with any of my BP's feeding though. More or less, as soon as those feet hit the ground, they're done. But either way, I never leave an eating snake unattended. I think as long as all precautions are taken & all risks are known, it's not a problem to feed live.

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

The risk of injury due to live feeding is high and not worth it, fresh kill or frozen thawed are the ways to go. My boa caught a nasty bite to the eye a while back and became scared to eat. THAT was fun. Just a little thump to the back of the head is all you need to immobilize a mouse/rat long enough for the snake to squeeze.

To Natasha--- You just force fed your snake 4 days ago. Give it another 6 before trying to feed her again, just let her relax and digest her food. Make sure your temps are up and she has plenty of water.

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Also, a month of not eating is nothing! Why are you force feeding so early? She will eat when she is hungry. This is all just very stressful for her...

8. Merlin

Thats a common misconception, usually carried until the feeding goes bad and the snake is injured.
    Being aware of the risks and taking them anyway is unrealistic. You have to consider that a rodent will be fighting for its life. If the strike isn't just right and the rodent can turn, a single bite can blind or even kill a snake.
    No matter how close you watch them or how fast you may think you are, you won't be able to prevent it.
    I once, MANY years ago, shared your beleif that it was no big deal.
    Until I saw a mouse rip a hunk out of one of my snakes. From that point on it was f/t!

9. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I can definitely see where you guys are coming from... I'm just not sure how my snakes are going to react & I hate messing with a good thing. I actually tried feeding one f/t last night because she was in shed when I bought the feeders, & she didn't take. Showed a little interest, but that was the extent of it. She hasn't ate in 13 days. I'll see how things go, because it would also be much more convenient. I know this shouldn't be such a hard decision, but for some reason it really is for me. Grr.

10. Merlin

Sometimes it is a challenge to convert them to f/t or prekilled but it is definately worth the efffort. And I have never had a snake that I could not convert.
    Though some were a bit more effort than others.

11. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Okay, on another forum someone said they found a cheaper humane way to prekill, which is taking a tupperware & poking a small hole in the lid, then "gassing them out" with air duster... What do you think about that?

12. Merlin

That is just using the CO2 propellent in the canned air. It should work, but I would think it would not be a cheap way to do it.

13. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Well I get it for $3 a can. It'll just depend on how much it takes to kill them. Will try that this weekend.

14. Merlin

It is going to take enough of the canned air to completely displace the oxygen in the bowl.

15. CrazyCylax

CrazyCylax Well-Known Member

This has alot of funny comments. The op was illegible. But Legable enough to read.
    I hate seeing critics on grammar. But that not my business.
    Feeding live has much worse outcomes than. My rat bit my snake.
    Toxic rat syndrome is EXTREAMLLY common. And it's what caused me to switch over.
    bit I have a 6 foot female who WILL NOT touch dead rats. She barly eats live. I even took her to the vet for a fecal and blood panel. Didn even need dewormer. She was healthy. But she WON'T eat but evey 6-8 weeks.
    Idk why. But I want her to stay alive. She also will not eat live all white or all black. Has to be hooded. Weird huh.
    But at work we had 2 baby BCIs that didn eat for 4-6 weeks. I said they'll eat. No worry. They died.
    Can't say from what for certain. But there the only ones to ever die. So I'm ASSUMING it was starvation.
    My advise to you is. Give it a week. Place the rat (dead) in a small DARK container over night. That usally works for me when is going on 8 weeks without a meal. Like a last resort.

16. Merlin

We are not talking about correct grammer. we are talking about a post that is so bad it was difficult for an english speaking person to read. Let alone those of our members who do not speak english and use translator programs to try to decipher what was being written.
    Exactly what are you talking about?

17. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Yeah, this forum has a lot of members in other countries who do not speak english as their first language, more than most forums seem to have especially. That's why it's important to at least try to get our sentences to be translatable!

It's tricky to switch snakes over. Specifically ball pythons. Even still ours struggles. He will eat f/t...But honestly as much as I always hopefully say he's 'finally eating it reliably' it's not true. Honestly I'm about ready to send him to someone who is good at switching them over for a few months just to make sure he will finally be a successful f/t eater. I'm tired of him losing weight and gaining it back, only to lose it again.

IN GENERAL it seems like troubles with feeding are pretty easy to figure out. If I'm feeding f/t, the first thing I check is the rodent's temperature. That's what we use our temp gun for--is the head about 100 degrees with the body in the 80s or so? Is it warm all the way through or just the skin? Next, is the snake comfortable? Maru won't eat when he's stressed. The only time we've gotten him to eat is when he's already in his hide with his head facing out of it. If you touch him, or bump him with the rat, it's over. So check for stress, and other signs of stress--have you handled that day? Is the snake in shed? Is the area a high traffic zone?

If it was just a one time thing I'd say it was likely stress or something. But then if it keeps happening, there could be something going on with husbandry. Make sure it's warm enough--and not just that, but make sure the snake feels comfortable enough to enter the warm area--aka, give the snake a hide it uses on that side as well! Then again, the mention of stress. Make sure the snake is happy and feels safe.

Ask the breeder what the snake was eating before. If the snake was eating f/t and you attempted to feed live, it might have frightened the snake. Or if you tried to feed f/t and the snake was used to live it might not understand or make the switch easily.

Or there could be something wrong--mouth rot, substrate in mouth, some kind of illness making the snake not want to eat. It could be as simple as the snake not being hungry at the moment, or something much more severe. We'd need a few more details to know better what's up!

18. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

What exactly is toxic rat syndrome? I've never heard of it.

19. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Me either, I assumed they were just talking about an infection from a rodent bite?

20. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Possibly... I'll look it up.