This Disappears When Logged In

Rat Snake Refusing to Eat

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by miranda200784, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miranda200784

miranda200784 Active Member

Hi I have a 5 footlong grey rat snake who usually has a medium mouse once a week, but has refused her mouse for 2 weeks now,and has been hiding in her log since her last feed, Her eyes look cloudy so I think she is is ready to shed, but this has never caused her to refuse food or hide for so long. daytime temp in tank is stable at 27C, as always. Would try and coax her out, but she can be a bit fiesty lol x

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

You are right, it does sound as though she is going into shed. I would leave her alone until after she is finished with the shed and offer food again. If she has been eating regularly every week, then skipping a week(or even two) will not hurt her.

3. miranda200784

many thanks, leila has now shed, and eaten a mouse and seems much happier

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

That's great news! I am glad that both snake and parent are feeling better again.

5. miranda200784

Have now discovered Leila did not eat her mouse after all, found it a week later, buried under the substrate,have been popping a mouse in once a week since, but she has still not eaten since beginning of June now. She has now got cloudy eyes again, looks like she's going to shed again (twice in two months, which is very close together for her), am a bit concerned now, although i have heard of snakes, especially large snakes like Leila going many months without eating and been ok. Have tried different sized and coloured mice,still no success. Also, how do you tell an age of a grey ratsnake? any ideas? many thanks x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.