This Disappears When Logged In

Rat sizes?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Andyc3020, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I've been buying Arctic Mice for way too long. I need to save some money. I've been feeding my carpet python medium rats, but I think it may be time to move to large.

I swear rodent pro used to have a size comparison chart, but I can't find it. Are their large rats the same size as Arctic Mice's large?

Also, if anyone knows of a better place to order frozen rats from, please let me know.

Thanks

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

rodent pro lists the weights (usually in grams) of all their rats. If arctic mice does something similar, you should be able to compare pretty easily.

I just placed a Rodent Pro order yesterday, they had some good sales, and $29/box flat rate shipping.

I have been ordering rodent pro for years, and I absolutely love them. I supplement when I run low on one size by just picking up a bag of frozen at the local monthly show.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Indeed they did! I frequently referred new comers to them to see what the sizes were of the commonly named feeders (pinkies, hoppers, fuzzies, etc.)
    For some reason they stopped doing it.

4. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yes, they have the length/weights listed for all their feeders but no comparison, which they used to.

What I did is get myself a digital kitchen scale so I could weigh them. I haven't used Arctic Mice but I can tell you Gourmet Rodent large rats are 180g according to the bag, but when I weigh them they're around 200g usually. And their jumbos are supposed to be 250g I think but I recently bought one (they were out of large) and it was 320g. Wasn't sure my boa could handle that but he did.

I would assume Arctic Mice lists a weight, you could just go by that and order comparable from rodent pro. I also recently ordered some (my shipment is delayed, apparently they're getting hammered by the latest snowstorm). Not only do they have $29 flat rate per box but a ton of stuff is on sale.

5. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll just weigh one of the Arctic Mice rats and go from there.