This Disappears When Logged In

Rat Pup vs Adult Mouse

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Knox, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Which is more nutritious, Rat pup or adult Mouse?

Just curious since I have seen people switch from mice to young rats.

Thanks!

2. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

Rat pups have more fat to them They certanly help snakes grow alot quicker

3. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

rats get my vote! Once i started feeding my one snake rat pups i noticed a very healthy fast growing snake...putting on weight nicely.

From then i started to breed rats and fed everything rats...i won't go back. i also found that i never got as many snakes fasting...feeding was much more succesful. I only had one snake that did not convert to rats(Trimereserus albolabris)...but they are known to be tricky feeders anyway...she ate ike a pig on mice tho.

What was nice about that tho is ii could compare growth rates from mice vs rat food. The one eating rats grew much faster! and the prey items weighed the same!

4. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

I think rats are easier to digest then mice. I either heard this or read this.

5. venus

venus Founding Member

I believe I also read somewhere that bones in rats are softer and easier to digest...could be wrong, lol.

6. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Y'all just make rats sound sooo delicious! I think I'd like mine with curry sauce... Would that be a red or white wine, do you think?

7. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

What about the differences in the bone mineral of adult mice versus rat pups?

Calcium is gained from the bone and gut of the animal, especially dependant with snakes, and since pups have a lesser Ca content. Do you guys add supplements to attribute to the loss since the pups do attribute more to the growth rate than mice; I doubt the mother's milk is adequate enough.

I've always fed adult mice oppose to the pups due to this idea. Never been interested in having a fast growing animal. If my animals get large enough to feed on rats, that's when I changed over completely. (I did mix it up a bit.)

Just my thought, never really dug into it.

8. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

i feel if an animal is growing at a better rate on the exact same weight of food given...then i feel it must be more healthy.

9. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

I fed rats & mice to my snakes! I don't have a preference. I use frozen fuzzie mice for my diamond X jungle carpet python- and i feed my baby kenyans live pinky mice. I do use baby rats to feed my ball python and rats to feed my bull snake! Then again with the rats i also did see a sufficient growth rate in them. Hope that helps!

10. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

So if you wanted to keep your snakes with a conservative feeding schedule, would it be advisable to therefore stick with mice as long as possible? I am fortunate that the strain of mice in our research lab gets fairly large (males are 50 g or so, ex breeder females are about 40-50 g). I have no interest in having giganto snakes and I'd like my male BCI to stay relatively small and handleable as an educational talks animal. With my JCP being as moody as she can be, I'd rather have a 5-7 foot moody snake than a 8-10 foot moody snake!

11. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

the real answer to the question about rats vs mice...

what is the life span of a snake fed on mice versus that of a snake fed on rats. Snakes power fed usually attain fast growth rates but have short life spans- therefore unhealthy snakes. I am against this...

as for the boa in question. I feel your snake should be eating appropriately sized prey items...you could feed it exclusivly on mice until it reaches a stage where bigger prey items are needed..the girth of the snake as a good indicator. It is also healthier to feed one larger prey item than a few mice for example. well just my thoughts...

12. KrokadilyanGuy3

Perhaps Devon,
    but I have seen animals with remarkable growth rates lose Ca mineral as if the animal was deprived of it. I seen a lot of cases back in my Vet Med Era where a snakes, mostly Burmese, were over fed just to obtain a large animal. With the amount of food and at such temperatures, the animals never had a chance to fully take advantage of the food.

I'm just curious about the pups. I know they have a lot of fat and nutrition but Calcium components are only set at what the pup can handle and in a lot of cases that won't be enough for a growing snake needing the Ca. Some may add more pups to try and accomplish the proper Ca, but that would make the animal grow faster thus making the idea useless.

I'm probably wrong, so don't take it to heart. Just blantant thought.

EDIT: I thought it was said to be better to feed several smaller items than one big one?

13. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

yeah...would be interesting to get calcium rating of pups. Adult mice will def have a higher calcium component.

but just to make it clear...i am totally against feeding purley trying to get bigger snakes. Snakes fed too much to gain weight/growth is extremely unhealthy and i feel unethical and selfish.

i am trying to connect wether better growth rates from prey type alone(same amount of food) would mean the snake is healthier...?

i see what you are saying about the pups though. I do feel you mite be right with the calcium content of pups vs adult mice...therefore adult mice would be a better meal than a rat pup.

but adult rat vs adult mice, weight for weight??? rats win i think

14. KrokadilyanGuy3

I would agree. That's why I swap to rats when possible, then rabbit, then pig, then deer, then small children.

15. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

So...would two 2 year olds be comprobable to a 4 year old? *eagerly awaits replies for power feeding her boa...* :cool:

16. KrokadilyanGuy3

The bone mass would be greater in the 4 year but the 2 year would probably be a bit tubby, but with enough Ca to survive I would assume.

heh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.