This Disappears When Logged In

Random Drabbles of Boredom.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thalatte, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So I am sitting bored out of my mind...

The torts got a treat today of some old watermelon.
    image.jpg

Also my "grass" is getting a little overgrown. The torts aren't eating nearly as much of it as they used to. image.jpg image.jpg

2. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Woman ya live in arizona lol. take some scissors cut it and put it in the turtle house. Then ya won't be bored (giggles) Or you can come here and listen to kids bug you every 5 seconds for something random.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well yes I could do that but why?

4. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

because you're bored!!!

5. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Yeah my house is never boring with six kids lol. Always something random. I agree with Tiger ivy lol

6. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

Bored huh? Well I have plenty work here to get done. I am on a "sanitize the house" mission this week. My youngest was exposed to chicken pox and so I am trying to prepare so caring for her is easier and I feel like a clean sanitized house will for some reason make it easier. I doubt it will make a difference but ya know. My older kids will most likely not get the chicken pox because they have either been vaccinated or had the virus. Fun days here.

Your pictures made my kids want a tortoise. Cause we don't have enough reptiles as is.

7. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Give her some vitamin b12 to boost immunity. Also echinacea. That may help her too. Hopefully she won't get it. On the other hand I hear shingles as an adult is awful. Painful

Torts are awesome. I just have a turtle but have wanted a tortoise :)

8. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I didn't even know that grass grew in AZ! ;) I have a near 4 year old, 12 week old puppy and a 9 week old kitten.... no boredom here! I just now got done with everything and can sit for a bit, want to trade :)

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

hmm...what kind of kitten?

Right now I am playing this fun game where I add all the money I have spent on an animal and then decide what other things I could have bought that wouldnt be nearly as much hassle.

Then I realize I would rather have the animal and I really need a less expensive "hobby!"

Speaking of at what point does it go from a hobby to a weird obsession that renders you a creepy person?

10. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

LOL Running, trade you for 5 kids? 17, 12,11, 10 and 9 (2 of whom are special needs) 4 lizards, 3 dogs, 4 cats and a mentally dead room mate!!! Oh yeah and I'm single. (*sings* and a partridge in a pear tree)

Tia you are eccentric...not creepy!!

Iessa? Lots of calamine lotion, Oatmeal and baking soda and gloves!! Oh and plenty of movies or video games.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Eccentric is just another word for crazy!

12. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Ok so what we march to a different beat. If they don't like it it's their loss. So sorry.

13. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Thalette, to us herpers your not even close. To everyone else we probably all pole vaulted over that point a long time ago. ;)

14. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

I went from being a little "crunchy" to complete wack job when we started getting reptiles. Oh well.

I have my little chicken pox kit all ready. I wish video games would work. She is only 2. She will be doing lots of mommy snuggling and sleeping. I wish she were a little older but glad we might getting it over with. I will need to have the chicken pox verified so they do not push the vaccine when she is cleared to have vaccines again(may or may not ever happen) but I worry because our Dr is young and has never seen a case of chicken pox. I don't want to deal with over reactions. When my older daughter got it at 3 her then Dr was trying to force us to give her anti viral medications and steroids. Ugh. So I have to decide if I take her to the Dr or to the hospital and hope for an older Dr. to give an official diagnosis for medical records.

So today we are super cleaning all the reptile enclosures so they can be spot cleaned during this time and not get nasty. My secret: I don't want to do loose substrate for the snakes anymore. It helps with humidity but its becoming a pain in my butt and a finance I don't want. But my husband and son love it so much. Someday I will get my way and say bye bye to the eco earth.

My husband is pretty close to being done with the bearded dragon's new homes. We are going to have a decorating contest. I will share pictures when we are done. Maybe we will even let the herp lovers here be our judges.

I think my husband is now wanting a tortoise. YAY! Thats what we need. But he figures when we buy a house in a few years we can build it a nice area outside. He also wants to build our turtle a pond outdoor and indoors. I think he is crazy but I am glad he has jumped on board with the herp love. It would not be nearly as fun if he were resistant.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok here is my advice as a tortoise owner: DONT DO IT!!!
    yes they seem fairly simple but they are complicated, expensive, and time consuming. Plus their diets are rather complicated, they arent a "playable" pet, its really hard to get them used to people (if they ever get used to them in the first place). Housing is more complicated then let them out in the yard and leave them be. Forinstance in Arizona the summers are too hot and the winters too cold so you have to have thermal controlled housing of some sort. A burrow is the easiest and cheapest but then you have to worry about them burrowing too deep, running into roots and killing plants, burrows collapsing, being drowned if it rains or you water too much, burrowing past your fence line and escaping (mine are doing this right now), etc.
    So the safest option is a regulated insulated house but these can be expensive to build and maintain as well as most torts dont like them. Of my four torts only one uses the house willingly.
    Another side note is here in Az (maybe other places as well) torts are stolen quite often. I have had 3 stolen so far.
    Oh and Tortoises flip over alot especially desert torts and this will kill them if you dont catch it in time.

16. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

I have been researching them for a bit. We were offered a baby sulcata by a friend a while back and we declined due to space. My biggest hesitance is how long they live. Most will likely out live me if we are caring for it properly. Then what? Ya know. Leave it in my will for the grandkids. That just seems unrealistic. Thankfully our financial issues are resolved. That was a rough month. Honestly, we are more likely to get a new snake but not until November.

17. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

2 huh. Good investment...crayons, coloring book, and favorite videos!! Or Sprout for the win (if you get that station). The anti virals do actually work pretty well. They shorten the time before it goes away. The steroids..meh not worth it. You know what I did with mine? Ok laugh because its funny but it worked ~shrugs~ I played paint the pox with calamine lotion. a garbage bag with child on top, a bit of calamime lotion and let them finger pain pock to pock. Something my mamaw taught me (she was a holistic nurse) was the sun is your friend when you start breaking out. Why or how I don't know - but going outside (obviously away from other people) will actually kill some of the virus. I did it with my kids too - I let them outside in their bathing suit bottom. None of them had it bad at all. I wish you luck though. I guess I had it as a kid, I was exposed to it like 100's of times but don't ever remember getting it...and I'm 43 so there was no vaccine for it back then. Maybe her sun idea stopped it in its tracks. But I never got it when the kids did either. Meh..

Oh as for the Sulcata...DONT...seriously...you have no idea how much POO one creature can create, the vet bills are outrageous, they are a look at me pet..ug..they are really super expensive.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have two sulcatas and the smaller one poops more then my dog and there is soo much of it! It's like magic how she fits soo much in her little shell.

19. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

OH MY you have MORE kids than me!?! I only have five!!!!!

20. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

Eccentric women are sexy....I say run with it...