This Disappears When Logged In

Random Burm Story

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by dcluver04, Dec 27, 2012.

1. dcluver04

dcluver04 Active Member

So I went to the local pet shop today and fell in love with a Burmese Python. Regardless of the $300 dollar price tag I had my heart set on it. So the employee working at the time had him out and was handling him well. He then asked if I would like to hold him, which I was excited to do. I don't think I supported him enough since he thrashed around and then bit me. Must say that experience combined with him being able to grow up to 15 feet changed my mind about getting a Albino Burmese Python.

2. williamweir10

williamweir10 Elite Member

Well, sad to hear you got bitten, but it might have been for the best. Burms aren't for everyone, that's for sure.

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Though I might agree about Burms not being for everyone, don't feel bad. All snakes owners have been bitten at some point or they will be :) Just comes with the territory and not a reason why you couldn't have say a smaller species.

4. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Yup! Maybe you can start off with a ball python, then work your way up the chain to a burm?!

Like a ball python, then maybe a blood python, then maybe... a atb or etb? then maybe a burm? I'm not quite sure how hard burms are or whatever... Just giving my opinion!

5. dcluver04

dcluver04 Active Member

It was no big deal, my cat has bit me harder. It just surprised me. I actually am leaving soon to go get a ball python. I have his tank all set up already.:)

6. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

yayy! would like to see pictures upon your arrival at home!

7. Relentless

Relentless Member

Seriously, great job on accepting that little wake up call and realizing that just because you fell in love with that irresistible yellow face doesn't mean it's a good idea to bring it home. They are beyond cute. I fell in love with one at 14 years old at a local pet store and I am so glad it didn't come home with me then.

Good luck with your ball python (just as cute!). Make another thread and show us some pictures. :)

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I love my 2 Burms but they aren't for everyone. Thier sheer size alone is definately not for everyone. I mean 14-16 ft and 100 pounds at least. Good luck with the Ball Python. I have 2 of those also.

9. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

I love my Burmese but like you've already heard they are definately not for everyone. I believe in working your way up to anything like a burmese or reticulated python. Don't let it scare you off though, if you think a burmese or reticulated python is in your future just keep working on your handling and sooner than later you will get there. If its any comfort my 17 foot retic just got a good one in on me just the other day it kinda comes with the territory.

10. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

GREAT job not getting a burm.. i see way too many people coming on this and similar forums with soon-to-be-giants wondering how to change the water in the dish or something basic like that- good luck with the ball! i love my ball, they are really cool snakes :D