This Disappears When Logged In

Raising Humidity in Dubia Roach Bin

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by KDK241, Nov 21, 2014.

1. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I recently started a colony of dubias and I'm having a really hard time getting the humidity up. They are in a 10 gallon tote with a heating pad on 1/2 of the bottom, the temp stays between 85-95, I had them cooler but they stayed in the warmest spot and since raising the temps they seem happier. There are only about 60 but I'm planning on getting more soon. I have a large dish of water crystals, their food dish and they always have an orange in there along with fresh veggies. No matter what I do though I can't get the humidity up past 35% and I've lost a couple while molting. I have tried a tupperware dish of water with holes in the lid on both the warm and cool sides and it raised it about 2%. I added an air stone to it and that made no difference. I've covered 90% of the ventilation hole and no difference. It is the digital thermometer I use for my lizard tanks so I know its accurate but I've run out of ideas.

2. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Where are these ventilation holes? And try putting your water crystal dish on the hot spot, that works for me :) I also have my roaches in my closet where there isn't any drafts.

3. Logan

Logan Elite Member

That's weird. I have my adults in a sterilite bin. I use damp paper towels instead of water crystals. My house is super dry so I usually rewet the paper towels twice a day. As far as I've seen I've never lost any to molting.

My feeders are kept pretty much the same but in a drawer type set up with no problems..

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you post us a photo of your setup?

5. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I do have them in a closet and the bin is the same bin I used when I had dubias before and never had this problem. I had the water crystals on the warm side and actually saw a couple bury themselves in them to molt. I ran out of crystals so I added a water bowl that has a bunch of holes in the lid and a piece of t-shirt as a wick until I can get more.

In this pic the temp is 88 and humidity is 35%. I have checked various spots in the bin and even hung the thermometer half way up the side and get the same humidity readings.
    20141122_171919_zps0gibairn.jpg

I double binned it because I didn't want the heating pad directly on the boxes underneath. The ventilation hole is way to big but I saved the part I cut out and have taped it all the way around to make it smaller.
    20141122_171908_zpsvlpbskoh.jpg

The open ventilation is actually less than an inch wide but it looks a lot wider in the picture. I've closed it almost completely and it didn't make any huge difference though so I'm definitely open to suggestions!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are you using to measure the humidity?
    My suggestion would be to close the opening even more and get a much larger water dish.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

As your population grows you'll be needing to decrease the humidity.
    I agree, close it up. Probably help to put screen closer to the bottom on the sides, rather than the top where it escapes.

8. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I'm using the digital indoor/outdoor thermometer that I used for my reptiles. After adding the t-shirt to the water bowl the humidity stays around 45% but I still lost another female during a molt. I haven't had a chance to get more water crystals yet but hopefully that will raise it high enough. They've had babies and I've seen some mating so they seem happy.