This Disappears When Logged In

Rainforest Themed Vivarium?

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by Frogguy, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

Hi,guys.I just wanted to know if one of you can give me ideas on how to create a amazon themed vivarium for a green anole and a green tree frog.Can you also show me pictures.Also,what plants are good to use in this type of setup?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Any tropical loving plants are good. Pothos work very well. If you are going to mix the anole and the green tree frog, be SURE you have DOUBLE the space that is needed for each animal. Otherwise you will induce lots of stress. I usually suggest not mixing ANY species. It usually leads to trouble along the way.

Have photos of two of my setups.
    *note, the plants in this one have grown in since the photo was taken.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a safe plants list.
    Edible Plants List

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The latest issue of Reptiles magazine has a good article in it about this topic.

4. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

Liz, can you tell me what plant that is? The one in the white container. I'm liking it's appearance. Oh and nice setup! Thanks for responding!

5. schlegelbagel

Some sort of Dracaena. I got it at IKEA of all places. The frogs really like to stick to it while they sleep. I think the common name is a Corn Plant.

6. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

Liz,can you also tell me how you made that first setup?.The one in the first picture.Sorry if I'm asking to much.I'll stop.Thanks though!

7. schlegelbagel

8. Sinlightened

Sinlightened Elite Member

Liz, I recently acquired that EXACT same tank with a wood finish on the top and bottom... and this gave me some great ideas =) Did the epoxy end up holding the wood you used as a top?

9. schlegelbagel

Yes, it did. Only the Epoxy held the hinge, and the hinge was screwed into the wood.

It's a great tank. Holds humidity and brings in fresh air PERFECTLY. Keeps my temps constant too. If I could find another, I'd do it the exact same way again.

10. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

Liz is it ok to use acrylic to make the land areas?I went to PetSmart yesterday and got some careguides.It said that the green tree frog and the green anole would be fine together.It also said a long tailed lizard would be ok with them,too.So I decided to get a long tailed lizard.

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

It sounds like your going a little overboard with 3 species in an enclose. Personally I'd stick with one (two if you feel you MUST have a second species but I'd NEVER do three)

12. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

Oh by the way you guys deserve a BIG THANK YOU especially to schlegelbegel

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Don't believe everything that you read on a petshop caresheet.
    The people who are successful at multi species enclosures are NOT beginners. Trying to deal with completely different species housed together requires an intimate knowledge of the husbandry requirements of the animals involved. This is not something to attempt with species with which you are not already familiar. And you would want to use speices that would normally be found together in the wild.
    For instance the tree frog and the anole are from the US while the Longtailed grass lizard is from Asia. They would NEVER meet in the wild.

14. schlegelbagel

No, Acrylic won't keep up to the moisture. For the land areas, use a substrate to help keep up humidity. Eco-earth works great. Its sold in bricks that expand in water.

Now, you are making a tropical setup. The green tree frog does better with slightly less tropical settings. (they like it a little dryer and cooler). If you want something tropical, you should have stuck with a whites tree frog. They are good beginner frogs.

I highly advise AGAINST mixing species. Pestmart is only looking to sell stuff, like animals and product. By the way, animals to them ARE product.

I would suggest figuring what sort of set up and animal you want, then building it to spec. THEN getting the animal. Not the other way around.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I think that he means using acrylic as the divider between land and water.

16. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

That's exactly what I mean.Thanks,Merlin!

17. schlegelbagel

That's fine then. I have that for my fire belly toad tank. However I strongly suggest a bowl instead of something permanent. Your inhabitants won't really use it, and it will be really hard to clean.

18. Frogguy

Frogguy Active Member

Ok I'll just go with the anole and tree frog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.