This Disappears When Logged In

Rainbow Boas

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by iggy14, Apr 7, 2013.

1. iggy14

iggy14 New Member

Make sure u have a UVB light on ur rainbow boas

2. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

.....umm why?

They have no real need for uvb, I mean it can't hurt but its not essential for them. Are you talking about using a light for day/night cycle?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  3. Turner

Turner Elite Member

LOL!! I read this too, and was like: "uhhhh???"

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Care to elaborate?

5. iggy14

iggy14 New Member

because in the wild they stay up in the trees 8 to 10 hours a day and my rainbow boas eyes got messed up im not sure but iput a uvb bulb on him and in three days he recovered

6. Turner

Turner Elite Member

You should probably plan a vet visit

7. uncertainsky

What do you mean the eyes got messed up? Did they cloud over? It was probably a shed going to start.

8. rimridge

rimridge Well-Known Member

Good call,, That sounds very reasonable to what has been described.

9. justor

justor Elite Member

I have heard of certain types of uv lights causing eye problems, but I have never heard of them healing eye issues. Also I'm pretty sure these guys don't spend much time in trees...

10. uncertainsky

Yup. They are terrestrial, only really venturing up to evade predators if needed.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My BRB only climbs if I giver her live plants, and then, only so she can destroy them.

A BRB is a nocturnal animal. If yours was venturing out for prolonged periods during daylight hours, it's very likely something was wrong with it. If it felt the need to climb up and bask under a light source, I would look to your temps first and foremost, and your vet second!

12. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Wow, talk about misinformation....

BRB's are nocturnal ground dwelling snakes. They hide in the forest litter and under things in the daylight and typically only come out at night to hunt. NO UVB or any other light required for them. just ambient room light from a window is all that is required to provide day/night timing.

I've been keeping rainbow boas for 25 plus years with no UVB light.