This Disappears When Logged In

Radiant heat panels: Anybody use these?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Hippolyta, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hippolyta

Hippolyta Member

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I've never used them and don't think I would. I have a suspicion of anything that gives off a heat source that you would place inside the tank (like the hot rocks)

3. Hippolyta

Hippolyta Member

But the wattage on the large one is less than 60 for a surface area of like almost 2' by almost 1'. I was thinking that being that spread out it might not present a problem?

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

They might actually work, I'm assuming this is a relatively new product so it might be better to find out if anyone here or on any other reptile site has used them.

5. Todd

Todd Elite Member

I have used them, and have heard testimonies. They can pose as fire hazards, and however practical they might be, safety is always my foremost concern. It seems the most practical application for a heating element like the one you mention is similar to heat tape, in which a long electronic strip is lined along the back of several cages, distributing heat. This makes using heat tape (and similar heating elements like the one you mention) very practical. However, my belief is that if the heating element used is localized (for one or only a couple cages), I would consider using a heating element that does not pose a safety threat. The only reason it would be practical for me to use those types of elemets that are a bit more powerful is if the threat of safety is minimally compromised, and that the application is extremely practical. (If you do try out the heating panel, dont put it on plastic or on the inside of the cage. ;))

Although there may be distinctions with the heating panel, vs the tape, I believe that these attributes should help promote awareness. :)

6. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

i have one but i`m using an old fish tank,i have it on the bottom of the outside(of corse) and it works well.i made it so my corn can`t come in direct contact with it,i put a big rock right on top of it and covered it half way with litter.i can`t see a problem with it as long as there is no direct contact.i`m no expert by any means just speaking from personal expereance.

sorry about the spelling just a simple boy from canada with no spell check.(hint hint) :D

7. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I was under the impression that they are NOT fire hazards because of their low wattage (24, 40 or 54 watt) and temps that don't come close to being able to burn a reptile. Also, I thought that they're designed to be used on the inside of the cage, either on the wall or top...

The ad on that site says,"Desert Rays Radiant Heat Panels are designed to be mounted on the interior wall or ceiling of your terrarium putting heat exactly where you want it. Thus, reptiles can get close to the mat to obtain optimum levels of infrared heat without the concern of burns. The panels produce a high level of heat but never reach temperatures hot enough to burn on contact."

Is that wrong? :eek: Please tell me if they are...I don't want to buy anything that will hurt my snakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.