This Disappears When Logged In

Rack and Tub

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by volkert13b, May 3, 2011.

1. volkert13b

volkert13b Well-Known Member

i have thermostats..i guess my main concern was just keeping them in there for good. i will breed them eventually but right now its more of a space saver.

with my leo in the 20 gallon i just have a heatpad hooked up to a thermostat and have a red light bulb on a dimmer set to VERY low setting..just enough that i can peek in the room and see what he is up to. i also live in pa so during the winter it help me keep the cool side temp up.

guys i appreciate all the advice and pic's that were uploaded gave me a few ideas for when i finally can get to a show and buy some new geckos. and i will be getting the heat tape just because it is easier using that instead of buying heat pads for each tub

2. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

+1

That's pretty much how it works!!

3. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Looking forward to seeing your new gecko collection and how you keep your rack system! Keep us posted when you get it all figured out! :)

4. volkert13b

thanks guys for everything. its going to be a bit i already have the flexwatt tape ordered just gotta either build a rack or buy a shelving unit and modify it. next expo near me isnt until june 11 : (

5. volkert13b

also for tubs in racks...you do you apply the day/night rotation. do you normally just keep them in a room with the lights on then off?

6. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Yeah, same deal. Just turn the lights off at night. Just as if they were in a tank :)

7. volkert13b

i always think of questions after i post..but pretty much i am getting a rack tubs ordered the flexwatt and herpstat...now since i am only going to be using this rack for leopard and fat tail geckos(they have about the same temps)...i notice no one uses thermometers...would i just set up the rack..heat it and leave a therm. in one of the tubs to get the overall heat in one tub? or do i need a thermometer for each tub

8. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

That's a good question, I use a infrared temperature gun, as a matter of fact here is the link for the one I purchased (first one on the list).

Thermometers, Thermostats, and Timers

It's pretty accurate. (At times when I get bored, I'll walk around my house with the temp gun, scanning everything in sight :">)

9. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

I am sorry I didn't even answer your question. Personally I feel that it is important to know how hot your enclosures are.

A temp gun is a good tool if you have a large collection, however, if you only have a couple tubs say maybe 4 or 5, then I would recommend you get the small digital thermometers. I use those for my baby rack and for incubating gecko eggs.

10. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

That's very funny :) LOL If I had one I would probably do that too. I am loving this thread because I am learning a lot too!

11. volkert13b

i am not starting a huge collection..i will eventually..just looking at the long run of things..buying a temp gun off the start..or buying thermometers..then a temp gun..i currently only have 2 leos and will be buying 3 more geckos at the next expo i'll just look at getting the gun and thermometers

12. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

LOL, you should see me when the lights are off at night, I pretend that I am ghost hunting as I walk around my house with my cell phone on night cam mode, but for some reason I am always falling over furniture….As always I have to explain to Dee why I broke the chair and/or table as well as explain that being in complete darkness makes it more fun..

13. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

That makes perfect sense. But believe me, one day you will turn around and next thing you know instead of having 5 geckos you will have 10...lol.. I am still trying to figure out how 6 of my star breeders came to me (I told the wifey they followed me home and hitch a ride on my truck while I wasn't looking)