This Disappears When Logged In

Rabbit Cage

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Jem_Scout, Oct 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Will a rabbit cage with 1 inch by 2 inch squares hold adult rats? It's 16 inches tall and 2 foot square. It has a door and tray with it. It's like brand new with no rust or anything. But I don't know what type of wire it's made of.
    This is why I ask...My daughter and I were coming home last nite and hit a deer :( About 1,000 damages but we are fine:) )
    Of course we live in the boonies so we couldn't get a signal on the cell phone so we had to go up to this house. Well, 3 guys were remodeling this house and my daughter happened to know them (bonus lol). While waiting for the cops and my hubby to show up, we were going into the house and I tripped on a black slippery thing. It was the pan to this rabbit cage...so I told the guy...I think I should get to bring this home with me. :p He says sure, for 10 bucks! LOL I slapped a 10 on the chair and grabbed the cage! :) Not that you needed to know the story but I thought it was kinda funny...the things I'll ask for huh? :p LOL

2. lola

lola Elite Member

i don't know if the rats could exactly get out...they can be wily jerks...but unless i am mistaking your description, usually rabbit cages with the trays have the trays *underneath* a wire floor so when they poo, the poo will fall down into the tray and they aren't living in their own smelly filth. a floor like that would be hard on a rats feet over time, not to mention that rats need a bedding where they can be comfortable and make a nest. and if your rat that you are putting in there is from a breeding colony (which i assume is the case, this is a herp site! :)) won't the pups also fall through the floor ?

just my thoughts...

lola

3. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

The cage sits inside the plastic tray underneath, so the rats wouldn't be walking right on the wire. I'll have their aspen bedding in there too so their feet wouldn't get sores on them.
    This cage won't be used to house any babies, just the adults. I just don't know if they can get out or not. My breeder rats are all full sized adults.

Also, how can I tell if the wire is galvanized or not?
    Back to searching the net for answers I guess... :p
    Thanks Lola :)

4. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

try a magnet if its stainless steel it won`t stick if it`s galvanized it will

5. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

6. lola

lola Elite Member

ok, good :D

i recommend you put a rat in it and watch closely. i imagine that would be the only way to really know.

lola

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I keep my rats in a rabbit cage. Just make sure they have something soft to walk on cause that wire will definately hurt their feet. As for the spacing between the wires, technically a rat could get through there, but it really depends on the rat. I have 1"x1" spaces, but yours has an extra inch. If a rat was determined enough it could possibly get through, but a healthy shouldn't be able to get through there. Its not impossible, just unlikely.

How many rats were you planning on putting in there anyway? It's only big enough to house maybe 2 rats, 3 rats tops.

8. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I was planning on keeping 2 or 3 in there. Building them a balcony of sorts too.

The wire bottom sits right down into the plastic tray, flat. They really wouldn't be walking on the wire itself.

I did the magnet trick and it stuck :(
    Galvanized wire holds the urine smell so I'll just be using this cage if I absolutely have to. Unless there is a way to powder coat it myself...any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.