This Disappears When Logged In

R.I????!!!!!

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by Snakewomen, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

I got a new GTP a little more than 2 weeks ago and she has eaten twice for me. At first I noticed a little crackling paper sound only when I sprayed her but now that seems to be gone and I stopped spraying her directly because I though maybe it was just scaring her. Then, tonight I was feeding her and I saw a bubble coming out of her mouth. Like the front of her mouth not the side, but it happened like 4 times. She didn't want the rat at first and kept dropping it but she took it finally. I am SUPER worried but I though they lost interest in food if they have a R.I

Help!

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Bubbles is a bad sign, her RI is advanced and she needs to see a Vet as soon as possible. I would increase her temps until you can get her to a Vet.

3. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

what should I increase them to? And this is the first time ive seen the bubbles and there is no wheezing or anything I can hear. I will try to get her to a vet ASAP.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Bump it up 5-10* the extra heat will help with healing. The bubbles are mucus, a couple shots of Baytril and she should be just fine.

5. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

ok thanks I will try and see if I can get her in tomorrow. I'll bump the heat up too. :((( stupid bubbles

6. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

It just doesnt seem like an R.I besides the one time bubbles thing. When I touch her there is no crinkling and I can't hear her breathing weird or anything. She's very active at night and eating. I'll still try and take her to the vet but... I'm confused...

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Its an RI, treat it quick. Chondros go fast once they're showing those signs. Temps should be up in 89-90 range, keep humidity up but dont spray it directly. If you spray use hot water because it cools enough in the air. Never use cool water, and don't feed any more. What were your temps before?

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Bubbles always mean a RI, it's the mucus in her lungs that is coming up when she breaths. Like Joey said once you see the bubbles it is pretty serious and with out fast treatment her chances of survival is not good. Bubbles/mucus mean the lungs are filling with fluid.

9. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

I have an appointment made for 2:30, it's an hour and 15 minute drive into the city though I hope she doesnt stress too much

10. JoeyG

Good luck! Your vet should do several shots to treat it and you'll have yo for some at home too.

11. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

Yup she said the lungs sound good but she trusts me that she has an R.I. She has given me baytril diluted 1:1 with saline hopefully so it wont irritate her skin, and ceftazidime. Oh and nasal drops daily then I have to steam her. What is the best method of this by the way?

12. JoeyG

I've not done the steam but from what I've heard is that you can use a humidifier for it.... check at MVF forum for better answers. It's an all chondro forum and some of the best breeders and knowledgeable people on the species. You good with the shots? Those I've done

13. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

Ok yeah I just joined that forum, I'll look there. But I think I'm good with the shots. I saw the vet do it. Front third of the body. The vet said to use the shower and steam her in the bathroom. i turned the hot water on, let it steam up in there, and sat in there with her for a while. It was definitely hot and steamy in there! But I heard while I was in there that her wheezing turned to a whistling sound. Not sure if thats better or not. She was good at the vet though and didn't bite anybody; I think I would have if somebody was forcing my mouth open to look in!

14. JoeyG

Truth be told they are usually "feisty" so if yours is so calm it may have had it for a while.... mine take tons of patience to get them out and to be still. fast moves will get me tagged. I think you did awesome though taking the poor thing to the vet for care, so many people wont it seems. the snakes are awesome and I'm sure you'll love it as much as any of us..... careful they become and addiction ;-)

15. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

I am happy I went too :) I'd rather be bitten when trying to give shots, then have a sick or dead snake. And I cant definitely see how they become an addiction. But yeah she absolutely hates being restrained but once it's done she's like "fine, guess whats done is done"

16. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

sorry i meant I CAN see how they become an addiction!:D

17. Viridis85

Viridis85 New Member

It's great that she appears to be responding well to treatment. Have you pinpointed anything that could have caused her to develop symptoms? If this was a recent purchase, has the seller been notified? Also, the trend seems to be that once chondros get RI once, it's that much easier for them to develop symptoms again, so many keepers will keep such animals on the higher end of appropriate temperatures; for example, I have an adult Biak female that came down with RI, she is now a little over two months of being symptom free, and I currently do not let her enclosure drop below 82F. Definitely read through MVF, very good resource for any chondro keeper. Also, I have to respectfully disagree with a previous poster concerning the temperament of Morelia viridis, these animals are alert but they are from aggressive, whether healthy or sick. Rico Walder wrote a very good article on the topic...

http://signalherp.com/whybebitten.pdf

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  18. Viridis85

Viridis85 New Member

It's great that she appears to be responding well to treatment. Have you pinpointed anything that could have caused her to develop symptoms? If this was a recent purchase, has the seller been notified? Also, the trend seems to be that once chondros get RI once, it's that much easier for them to develop symptoms again, so many keepers will keep such animals on the higher end of appropriate temperatures; for example, I have an adult Biak female that came down with RI, she is now a little over two months of being symptom free, and I currently do not let her enclosure drop below 82F. Definitely read through MVF, very good resource for any chondro keeper. Also, I have to respectfully disagree with a previous poster concerning the temperament of Morelia viridis, these animals are alert but they are from aggressive, whether healthy or sick. Rico Walder wrote a very good article on the topic...

http://signalherp.com/whybebitten.pdf