This Disappears When Logged In

R.I.P. Little Guy

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by Alby, May 23, 2011.

1. Alby

Alby Elite Member

I'm writing this so that those who care can join me in remembering a little leopard gecko who was left behind.

As some of you know, I adopted a leo a month ago who was starving to death in a Petsmart and was suffering from a parasite infection. I took him because I only had space for one more reptile and his older cagemate was sick but at least was larger and had fat reserves left. This is the story of the sibling.

I followed up with the little one I couldn't adopted routinely and, I must say, I am still disgusted by the neglect I witnessed. His temperatures were not maintatined properly, his shedding issues were left unaddressed and resulted in permenant blindness, and he was injured somehow and developed a lesion that took up a most of his one side. By the end of it both of his hind legs were dislocated at the knees and he had internal bleeding, leading me to believe he had been dropped by a careless employee who didn't give a ****. I finally talked the manager to letting me take it to a vet myself, after weeks of begging and being ignored.

It was too late, the poor thing had to be put down. I don't know why I'm writing this other than to cope with my lingering feelings of guilt about not being able to take both siblings. I just don't want the memory of this poor little guy to be forgotten, or the epidemic of neglect and abuse in pet stores it represents. I know the little guy is in a better place now, and I certainly won't forget him. Complaints have been filed with local care agencies... we'll see what good it does.

2. jewledrose

jewledrose Elite Member

It is always sad to see the neglect that the chain pet stores bring, but as it is often addressed, bringing one home just makes room for another. I am sorry to hear about the tragedy you went through with your little guy, but I am sure he was happier while you had him.

However, this should also serve as a reminder to anyone thinking about buying from a pet store - what you see is just the beginning. :(

3. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

My local PetCo has the most horribly abused and ill Leo's I've ever seen. And they know it. It is sad and horrible to see.

The thing is, the employees know that the Leo's they've been getting are infected and too young and will most likely die. They do the best they can for them, but company policy is against them. They can't seek medical attention for them, they can't treat them, and they don't have the room to give them a better habitat.

I have heard a couple of the more knowledgeable employees telling prospective owners to not buy their Leo there, but to go to the locally owned pet shop. They have better, healthier, older stock from a reliable breeder, and they are able to better care for the animals they have. Plus, they have vet assistants on staff to help deal with any problems, and they will take any animal that needs more care to a vet with no hesitation.

Still, it's really sad to see these animals (and others) so horribly neglected, no matter whose fault it is.

~BeckyJ

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Very sad and all too familiar story! Don't feel guilty, you did nothing wrong!
    The pet store owner should be the one who feels guilty for not providing this little guy with the proper conditions and help needed. They are obviously the one to blame! Glad you filed a complaint!

5. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Its irritating how familiar the story is, it just shouldn't happen. And to clarify jewledrose... it wasn't the one I took that died, it was the sibling I didn't have space for.

My next theorized course of action is to get in touch with a reporter and get them to do a pet store walk-through with a vet on hand discussing the care and health of the animals they see. I think it would be interesting to see the store's response.