This Disappears When Logged In

Quick Question From A Noob

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by JasonR, Jun 1, 2016.

1. JasonR

JasonR New Member

When I say I am a noob I am probably understating. I have not ever nor do I now own a reptile of any kind. I have known those that do and my mother has but she is not a good resource.

So my question..... I have a small dog (25lb havanese) and I would like to own a lizard preferably a free roaming one for the house. Are there any dog safe lizards? I am not worried about the dog he is very gentle (he plays with kittens who are new born) and obedient. I am more concerned for the dog that the lizard would not hurt him.

I live in Texas near Houston if that makes any difference. I would not put a lizard or my dog at risk so if there is no such thing I will just move on. I suppose I could have spoken with a breeder but I am forum friendly so I thought I would try here.

Thank you for tolerating my rant..... and thank you in advance for any advice.

Jason

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sorry but it isn't practical. No matter how gentle you may think that your dog is, it still has the heart of a predator. All it takes is the right movement and the trigger is tripped.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

And then there is the simple fact that unless you p!an to provide the conditions necessary to support the animal throughout the entire area it will occupy, which often would be considered uncomfortable for humans, then it's far better to have proper caging and just get the lizard out when you want to interact. You can also then make sure the canine is under control and out of the room. And no, generally the fur pets shouldn't be mixed with the reptiles.

4. JasonR

JasonR New Member

OK fair enough. Let me ask this then. How long do they (lizards) come out of their environment to interact? Is there a normal amount of time they like to be out .....I ask because I had wanted a boa but read they are to be handle very sparingly. I prefer not to have a pet I can not have contact with.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Certain reptiles do okay with interaction compared to others.
    A couple of the top ones would be Leopard geckos and Bearded Dragons.
    Interaction outside of the habitat can take place for short periods of time.