This Disappears When Logged In

Quick Question About My RES

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by tinytheturtle, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

If you have a wild caught turtle now, you need to be careful of what that could pass on to the captive one you are thinking of rescuing as well. Many wild ones have things that they live with fine, but captive animals can get sick from.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What brand/type of UVB bulb is it. Some of them make outrageous claims on the packaging that do not stand up to testing.

3. tinytheturtle

tinytheturtle Well-Known Member

exo terra 10.0 uvb

also found an even better aquarium 75 gallon confirmed holds water and a stand all for FREE

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Nice searching!

5. tinytheturtle

i know I about crapped my pants when she called me this morning o_O

like I said before I found this turtle as a hatchling, plus I did take him to the vet. :)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's one of them that is misleading. Fluorescent type light bulbs only generate useable UVB for a distance of about 10-12 inches maximum. And its pretty weak at that range! At 20 inches there is barely any UVB at all!
    I REALLY wish that there was an agency that required truth in labeling for reptile supplies!:mad:

7. tinytheturtle

yeah but again its another legal loophole for them cause they can claim it "works" because the uva/uvb light technically reaches(lol TECHNICALLY being the key word...)..they don't have to say to what efficeny it works >.<

8. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

The vet isn't going to catch everything, Unless you do extensive blood tests and things a vet won't be able to tell you if it could have something to pass to another turtle.

9. tinytheturtle

I got that nice filter finally lol and made a screen top for the aquarium so he can't climb out an hurt himself :) the screen has half inch openings :D I believe that's good enough to allow uva/b light right? anyway it looks great :) thanks to all those who have been so helpful

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yep, that screen top is good. Although see if you can't set the light somehow to the bottom side of the screen, so its lower in the tank. The closer, the better.

11. tinytheturtle

its pretty close I measured and the heat light is roughly 7 inches away and the uva/b light is about 6 inches away :)

12. greenveganne

greenveganne Member

Hello!

I wish I had time to read everyone's replies but I've only made it through the first page.

My RESs don't like kale much. Oddly enough.
    But anyways, I'd recommend elodea for your aquatic plant. If there is light, there will be a supply of elodea. It grows fast! Unless your turtles eat it faster. It's also very easy to grow, and needs almost no attention! There's no need to add fertilizer or liquid aquatic plant food. :D It's like magic!

I hope this helps!
    :) Anne

13. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

Hi there! I don't know how long ago you posted this but I have a fish tank and I would suggest anacharis or hornwort. Both are usually cheap so if you loose them you won't be too sad. Hornwort is typically a floating plant but you can anchor is down with substrate. it also grows quickly and both plants are hardy.