This Disappears When Logged In

Questions: Not Eating.

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by TitoAndKatt, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I just emailed her. I will let you know what she says. The snake was taken near my rommie's guinea pigs and seemed interested in the smell, so we are going to try rubbing a pinky with the guinea pigs and then feeding her in her enclosure where she will feel more comfortable.

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Good luck, if anyone can help you it will be Kathy Love, she is awesome.

3. David McConley

I just remembered- another person you might want to try is Jeff Mohr, he is also a cornsnake breeder. His website is-www.reptilianencounters.com. It couldn't hurt to e-mail him also.

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Here was my reply email:
    Hmmm…several things come to mind. For one, are you checking the temp INSIDE the warm hide? Put the thermometer INSIDE the hide and try to get it to around 85F or so INSIDE the hide. The rest of the cage can be cooler. Don’t worry too much about the dryness, EXCEPT when the snake “goes blue”. Then put a wad a very damp moss inside the warm hide so it can shed properly.

Cagemates are very stressful. Very often, the smallest or most timid babies will stop eating or start regurging due to stress. There are always pathogens EVERYWHERE, in small numbers. A stressed snake (or person!) may succumb to some common pathogen that normally wouldn’t bother it. It is a shame that pet shops continue to pile babies on top of other. Very often, the weakest or most timid will have problems after that stress. Have you had a fecal sample tested for any parasites / pathogens that can be tested for?

Palpate the middle of the snake carefully. Does it feel strong and muscular, or mushy? If strong, there is a good chance to save it. If mushy, the prognosis is not good.

Do anything you can to reduce stress. Perfect temps, no unnecessary handling, even tape newspaper around the glass, except for a few peepholes. And anything else you can think of to reduce stress. Do not try to feed more often than about every 5 days or so. More often just stresses them out. If you can get some dirty bedding from other kinds of rodents (especially wild type rodents like deer mice), you can bury the pink in it for 15 minutes and that might help.

You could just tube feed it egg yolks for a while, every 4 days or so. Start with about 1 cc. You can use an eyedropper, or one of those tapered syringes for giving meds to kids. It is fairly easy to open the mouth. Just sit down, put the tail between your knees, hold the head and neck with one hand, and open the mouth with the fingernail of your other hand. Then prop your finger in the mouth to hold it open (their teeth can barely break the skin – nothing to worry about). Either have an assistant put the syringe / eyedropper in the mouth, or if alone, have it in your teeth, and guide it in. Once in the mouth, you can take your finger out of the mouth, and use that hand to hold the syringe. I do it all the time. It is awkward at first, but gets easy after a while. After a few meals of 1 cc, you can probably go to 2 cc. Maybe try that for a month without trying to feed the snake (give it a rest), and then let it get hungry, and offer a live pink. Be sure the live pink is in a small container like a cottage cheese cup, with the snake and pinky (nothing else) locked in with the lid on. Put back in the cage (and close the cage lid, in case it escapes the cottage cheese cup!) on the COOL side of the cage, so you don’t cook it.

Can’t think of anything else right now.

Be sure to go to www.cornsnakes.com and read the FAQs, especially on the top of the sub forum about feeding. And read some of the questions and answers there from others – might help.

Good luck!

Kathy Love
    Corn Snakes 4

I will keep you all posted: so far still no luck :(

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That`s good advice Katt, is Kathy Love an English lady, working for the "Reptile Care" magazine?

6. David McConley

I am not sure as to her nationality, but she lives in Florida and her husband Bill is a photographer and a columnist for "Reptiles" magazine. They may do advice columns for the "Reptile Care" magazine as well.

7. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Well, my roommate just texted me (I'm not home atm) and sad that she tried another live pinky. I believe this one was rubbed on her Guinea Pigs. Aaaand...Fresno ATE IT!!!! WOOO!!!! :D I'll keep you guys updated on future feedings as to whether or not she keeps eating (how long should we wait before trying to feed her a second pinky?). Yaaaay! :)

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Try 5 to 7 days...( that`s excellent news by the way, probably just wasn`t hungry before now!)

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And make sure that everybody leaves the snake alone!
    You got it to eat, lets not stress it and cause it to give it back!

10. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Oh definitely. We have it's tank covered on 3 sides, and he has good hiding spots and we will leave her alone for a while. :) As you said, no need to stress her out and have her bring the pinky back up! :( I'm so glad she finally ate though! :)

11. David McConley

That's AWESOME news guys, I knew you could do it.

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

So we tried a f/t pinky yesterday (or was it the day before? I don't remember) and she wasn't that interested. Flicked her tongue at it and rested her head on it (my roommate says that she was checking for a heartbeat and wouldn't eat it because it was dead. I told her she is crazy. lol) but nothing more than tat. A little later in the day, my roommate went and got a live pinky - aaaand..she ate it right away! :) Now we just have to get her to eat f/t!
    Oh ya, she just shed too! It took her a long time to shed and it did not all come off in one piece, :( but she shed nonetheless! :)

13. David McConley

That is great news that she is EATING!!! The main thing is to keep her eating, so if she will take live newborn pinkies for now keep 'em coming. Plenty of time in the future to convert her. I think you will find that once she gets in the habit of eating she will convert with little to no problem. Great work guys, I'm so happy for you!

14. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Thanks! I'm thrilled that she is eating! :) My roommate seems resigned that she will never eat f/t. I told her that she would, she just needed to wait until it has been eating regularly and then start trying f/t again. She is one of those people who gets stuck in her ways and thinks she knows things and won't listen to other people. She works at a pet store. She knows what she is doing most of the time, but sometimes she "knows" the wrong things and won't be convinced otherwise. I can't push it too much because I live with her. We kind of NEED to get along. haha Anyways, she ate again twice! She is eating about every three days now. YAAAY! :D Thanks for all of the help guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.