This Disappears When Logged In

Questions - Gravid, Overdue Female BCI

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by EriksExotics, Apr 23, 2014.

1. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

I've owned this animal since late last year,
    enclosure size is 4'x2'x1' (Animal Plastics T8)
    Newspaper + shredded newspapers.
    Using large generic heat tape type heater. It's 24" x 11".
    Temps are 89F Hot side, 81F Ambient, the snake itself is 87F (EXTERNAL). Digital Thermo + IR temp gun.
    The humidity sits at 69%, Acurite thermo/hygro.
    Last meal was shortly after Post Ov at the beginning of January, 2014.
    The snake's activity levels have been higher lately and she was due on the 5th. Last month, I covered her sliding cage doors with newspaper only leaving a tiny crack, so she could have even more privacy. For the last week and a half, she's been pushing the glass doors where the crack is, trying to escape from her enclosure. Would you consider that to be birthing behavior? She's a few weeks late now and I've been checking one time each morning for babies and leaving her alone for the rest of the day. I found her waxy stool a few weeks ago but she's yet to give birth. What kind of behaviors can be considered birthing or pre birthing behaviors? I definitely don't think she's slugging out because she'd gotten very large during pregnancy. Too large to full of slugs, imo. She seems in perfect health and I am not concerning myself with how late she is as I believe she knows what she's doing and that she is staying healthy but I'd like to know if anyone else with knowledge on breeding has seen any behaviors that can be taken as indication of the snake getting ready to have birth?

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Don't know if I missed it but do you have a birthing hide? I've seen snakes go bonkers looking for a tight hide to lay in, other not give a darn and lay where ever. Her rapid movement and activity leads me to think she's looking for a place to hole up.

Seen snakes bind up looking and never lay... not happy ending...

3. EriksExotics

Nope. I've never seen anyone use hides for Boas. She's about 8ft long but I can try that out. I'll need to find something that'll fit in her cage and that she can fit into first. She has about 2 LBS of shredded newspaper in her cage which is A LOT so I'm sure she could hide in the paper if she needed a hiding spot but I'll try and get a hide space in there.

Boas are Ovoviviparous so I am not sure what'd happen if she held out but I'm sure it'd be equally as bad..

I am personally thinking that she's making more babies because she's started to get a bit bigger the last few weeks. My friend's boa did the same thing and he got nearly 40 babies so I am not sure what to think.

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Are you sure you identified her ovulation correctly? Is it possible you jumped the gun on calling ovi and she's not actually over due? Just a thought.

Also keep in mind that these animals dont always follow the rules we make for them in caresheets or books

5. EriksExotics

She definitely Ov'd and I found her shed about two weeks later and was not due for a shed as she'd shed about a month before so I am fairly certain it was her Post Ov. Either way all I can do is wait and I took my male out around Feb 20th *I think* so I am certain she's gravid one way or another. Just a waiting game at this point.

I am remaining patient and I know that they are just late sometimes but I was more focused on figuring out some common birthing behaviors to watch for