This Disappears When Logged In

Questions Before Adopting?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by crinamin, Aug 23, 2014.

1. crinamin

crinamin Member

I recently met a woman who just had a new baby and is moving, so she is unable to keep her 3 year old female corn snake. I'm very interested in adopting her, but want to be sure I've asked the right questions, and see if anyone on here has any advice before I make the commitment to get her.

I had asked the following questions and got the following responses:

When was the last time she shed and how did it come off of her?
    -Yesterday and it came off in two large pieces. (I received a picture of this also)

How often and what do you feed her?
    -She eats every other week and I feed her f/t rat pinkies

Does she go to the bathroom often/ok?
    -She goes to the bathroom just fine

Has she ever been to a vet, if so, do you have records?
    -She has never been to the vet, and no known health problems

How is she with handling?
    -Good, but feisty when hungry. She won't bite, but may strike.

She also mentioned she uses a snake hook to pick her up out of the ExoTerra enclosure and then handles her from there. She also sent a few pictures and from the pics, she looks healthy. I will be visiting the snake, named Athena, in a couple of weeks, and I'm hoping to be more prepared on what to look for or any other questions to ask before making a decision. She lives an hour and a half away, so preparation is key for me!

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

2. crinamin

crinamin Member

I came across another thread that says to listen for wheezing, look for fluid around the nose, and check for small black bugs (mites). Noted!

Anything else?

3. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Make sure there is no yellow crusty stuff around the mouth and her eyes are nice and bright.. other than that I can't think of anything else :) when you see her you will know if she's healthy or not. Make sure she's not too sluggish also.

4. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

The vent is a good place to check also!

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

When you handle the snake it should feel good and solid and move freely, not bumps or kinks in the body. Check the vent to see if it is clean. And mites can be red as well as black. But any bugs moving around on the snake is a bad sign.

6. crinamin

crinamin Member

Thanks for all the info everyone! I can't wait to see her in person, and if she passes the inspection, she will hopefully have a new, loving home :)